Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy dixon View Post
    On the plus side......you no doubt double checked your installation and quality of your work,which is no bad thing when it comes to a safety critical component such as your transponder.
    Glad you have it sorted as they are a very useful piece of kit
    The installation is all good and I like to keep things neat, also removed the foil tape and replaced with a circular aluminium ground plane.
    Hoping the transponder will get me through airspace that I've had to fly around before, was thinking about trying to catch a few of the lads who left for France yesterday but it's just a little breezy today, may try and catch up tomorrow
    G-HAMS a pretty quick Quik

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Morton For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentreau View Post
    Actually your transponder is reporting your Flight Level. It is set permanently to 1013.2mb.
    Since today the difference between altitude and FL was only 180 ft they would have seen FL025 when you were at altitude 2500 ft.
    On a day with much higher or lower sea level pressure, you would get a difference between your reported FL and your altitude.
    Your quite right, 2500 on 1019 was the regional I set whilst flying in the area to begin the check

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Morton For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (11-09-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Morton View Post
    The installation is all good and I like to keep things neat, also removed the foil tape and replaced with a circular aluminium ground plane.
    Hoping the transponder will get me through airspace that I've had to fly around before, was thinking about trying to catch a few of the lads who left for France yesterday but it's just a little breezy today, may try and catch up tomorrow
    Since fitting a transponder to my 50 mph Quantum 11 years ago I’ve never been refused a transit......and whilst in airspace they usually give you a traffic service without even asking,winner every time.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andy dixon For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (12-09-19)

Thanks
    I fitted a transponder in my Savannah a few months ago and used it for the first time seriously since my GA days 30 years ago flying to the UK and back a couple of weeks ago. It transformed the flight compared to flying without one making it possible to fly in almost a straight line north via Le Touquet (transponder needed to land there).

And for anyone considering a flght over here, touring or whatever, all of the major ATC units (airfields and regional) speak good English so you will have no problem communicating and will receive an impeccable service from helpful controllers. You will still need French for the smaller local airfields but as its doubtful that they'll have a controller anyway and it'll just be a traffic service you won't have a problem landing and taking off using simple pre-rehearsed phrases and keeping a good lookout.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Roger Mole For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (12-09-19)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Might be the wrong forum but what is the score regarding buying an older set from the States and installing it in a permit machine? There are some mode S jobs that are heavy but not 1600 and the saving would comfortably cover the cost of a lithium battery.

Thanks
    I enquired about fitting this second hand mode c unit into my Quik, was told by the BMAA that this was no problem as long as it was on the type approved list however the unit may have to be replaced when mode s takes over, I don't know about the LAA or how they operate but I think GA can now only fit mode s units

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Morton For This Useful Post:

unwind-protect (13-09-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy dixon View Post
    Since fitting a transponder to my 50 mph Quantum 11 years ago I’ve never been refused a transit......and whilst in airspace they usually give you a traffic service without even asking,winner every time.
    I hear traffic service being refused due to controller workload, and some have had narrow squeaks being summoned when the height being "transponded" wasn't accurate.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"