Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    I like the idea of sound, and perhaps an indication of where to look, only. I occasionally fly with someone who has PAW, coupled with Sky Demon. I watch him spend as much time looking for a reported contact as looking out for anything else. He's quite aware of this too, but it becomes an obsession.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    I watch him spend as much time looking for a reported contact as looking out for anything else. He's quite aware of this too, but it becomes an obsession.
    Without wanting to go too much off topic, is this for things where he has been given a bearing or is it for bearingless targets, e.g. Mode-C and Mode-S transponders? With MLAT the latter should go away, given an update to the latest software and enough OGN-R coverage.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Bit of both Steve. We fly in a glider intense area, so we're keenly aware of how difficult they can be to spot. Lack of a FLARM is a serious shortcoming of all other systems - and I know that OGN-R coverage will go a long way to rectifying this.
    From a purely ergonomic standpoint, software that can assimilate a threat (not everything in the vicinity - that's just a distraction from looking out of the window, or visor) and give an audible warning and a direction in which to look would be my holy grail.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (07-10-19)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    Bit of both Steve. We fly in a glider intense area, so we're keenly aware of how difficult they can be to spot. Lack of a FLARM is a serious shortcoming of all other systems - and I know that OGN-R coverage will go a long way to rectifying this.
    From a purely ergonomic standpoint, software that can assimilate a threat (not everything in the vicinity - that's just a distraction from looking out of the window, or visor) and give an audible warning and a direction in which to look would be my holy grail.
    We have a glider intense area to the North of us. I'm halfway through building an OGN-R station to see if this improves things, we have fairly good coverage, but I can fill in a few holes.

Once it's up and running, I'll see how much difference it makes to PilotAware locally, then invest in one if it hits the spot. I'll be connecting the audio out to the intercom audio in if so.

PowerFLARM in Europe is being marketed at powered aircraft, and via one of the Paragliding forums I hear news of the Swiss PG association getting involved in reducing the cost of FLARM to members.

I'll chase the story up.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"