Thanks

Microavionics vs straight GA

Hi all

Sage advice sought please! Just purchased an aircraft (fixed) that has a microavionics interface installed, alongside a Funkewerk ATR833 radio, and all works fine with the appropriate Lynx headset.

Upon buying the aircraft, my flying buddy and I agreed to plan to convert the setup to remove the microavionics interface and plumb in some GA sockets straight to the radio, to allow us both to use the ANR GA headsets we have.

However, Im now wondering if wed gain any benefit by buying the microavionics to GA adapters for the interface, rather than remove it completely. It does have an audio in for a phone, which is nice to have, but that can be achieved directly on the radio I think? (with some more connections I assume). We also want to feed in SkyDemon alerts so were thinking this input could be useful for that?

Has anyone had any experience swapping microavionics for GA, and how tricky the wiring is? Anyone used the adapters and have an opinion on audio quality? And does anyone have any thoughts on whether to liberate the microavionics interface for the weight saving, versus any benefit it might offer staying in place?

thanks in advance as always...

D
    <Insert wit here>

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Flyer View Post
    Hi all

Sage advice sought please! Just purchased an aircraft (fixed) that has a microavionics interface installed, alongside a Funkewerk ATR833 radio, and all works fine with the appropriate Lynx headset.

Upon buying the aircraft, my flying buddy and I agreed to plan to convert the setup to remove the microavionics interface and plumb in some GA sockets straight to the radio, to allow us both to use the ANR GA headsets we have.
    If it aint broke, don't fix it... although there is a saving to be made by employing your existing GA headsets.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Flyer View Post
    Has anyone had any experience swapping microavionics for GA, and how tricky the wiring is? Anyone used the adapters and have an opinion on audio quality? And does anyone have any thoughts on whether to liberate the microavionics interface for the weight saving, versus any benefit it might offer staying in place?
    I've done the reverse swap, some NR comes from the quality of the earpads used, gel is always better than foam. I also find that the way ANR mangles the frequency spectrum reduces the effectiveness of it. Some part of ANR is often a noise gate on the intercom side of things, this is never great unless top quality as it chops the beginning of words off.

Audio wise I preferred a Lynx system with matched headsets and intercom unit to an ATR500 with GA headsets, can't remember the brand.

Wiring wise, I think it's just a 15 or 25 pin D-type to sockets for the GA plugs, and PTT.

I've not used adaptors. I tried GA headsets with the ATR500, and the Lynx headsets with the Lynx intercom. Lynx headsets get power from the intercom, not sure how well that works with what's on the GA connectors.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Yes, while training the vox was set up to cut in too late and the instructor didn't realise for some time that the reason I did the opposite to to "Don't" was due to the intercom.
    Since then I have always set it up to open immediately. As for ANR, I didn't believe in it until I tried it and became an instant convert despite the slight disorientation when you have to LISTEN for the engine!
    Underpaid but overhead.