Thanks

Rotax 912UL Starter solenoid

Hi, I suspect my Solenoid is about to stop working all together (I get clicks when pushing the start button sometimes) - these cost just north of £100, but I believe itís possible to buy the item from other sources for circa £20 (motorcycle outlets) and still be ok as previously approved for Mainair, or so the rumour goes. Does anyone know more or is this just Microlight myth?
    I have a 80hp Rotax 912

Thanks
    If you get a series of clicks the problem is more likely to be something other than the solenoid itself. The classic reason is a battery in a very low state of charge. Not saying it is that.

Check the solidness of all the electrical connections involved in starting the engine; battery terminals, solenoid connections, engine earthing bolts, that sort of thing. Sometimes it's easier to look for the "bleedin' obvious" than to actually calculate where the problem will be.

Agreed. There's nowt special about a starter solenoid. But for a 912 it's got to be able to handle the current needed to start a large motor-bicycle or a small car. Beware of anything made in China.
    Last edited by Antoni; 05-11-19 at 15:46 PM.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    That is interesting. I have noticed this only since autumn temperatures hit and the battery is not as lively as it was. Iíve bought a battery maintainer type charger so will see if a well loved battery sorts this out. I will also check connections too. Iíll report back on outcome. Many thanks

Thanks
    An 12v motorcycle solenoid from a 250 cc (or larger) 4 stroke will do bike breakers circa £5
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting