Thread: Old microlight

Thanks

Old microlight

Hope this is the right section to post this for a bit of advice and comment.

Iíve just been given a microlight, as part of a farmers barn clearance! Heís owned it since 1992, when it last flew. For some reason, he bought it, and never flew it for 30 years, rather than sell it on. It has apparently been dry stored all that time and appears to be fully complete. There is a full set of paperwork with it which identifies it as G-MJWN, a 1983 built Flexiform Solo Striker 330 by Solar Wings, on a Hornet trike. Obviously the whole thing shows signs of age although the farmer tells me that the Robin engine was run regularly over the years and inspection appears to bear this out.

Although I am a commercial pilot, I am not intending to fly it- it was given to me to see if anything could be done rather than simply scrap it. I think the engine could be serviceable with work and the prop looks good, however I have no knowledge of how the wing may degrade over 30 years.

Would you be able to offer some advice as to whether it wold be worth saving, or passing on to someone?

1C7F707D-75CF-4A26-B099-79DD2BBA6F9E.png
    Last edited by Gentreau; 26-11-19 at 22:25 PM. Reason: Formatting - please remove html tags before posting

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim321 For This Useful Post:

GregH (29-11-19)

Thanks
    Iíve flown a lot worse
    And thanks for posting the picture and the story.....yes this is a good place to show your treasure and ask advice
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    The sail is the first thing to test
    spread it out and see if you can tear it with just your hands ...be agressive .

It it passes this test then look up betts test .

The frame may have corrosion dont wash it just look very carefully for white powder or rust on the bolts.

The fuel lines will need to be carefully inspected ... try to break ot crack them by hand .

Flush the fuels system with erthanol (alcohol) .

The mikuni carbs have a drain bolt in th bottom of the float bowls .remove them after pressurising the system with the primer ,wich is probably toast as well.

Its possible that everything is ok ..But usually fuel lines and drive belts go haed in places.

You will need training to fly this ,more so than a novice as your instincts are good but reversed.
    Your flying experience is an advantage but only in the long run.

These things feel the bumps like no other which makes them better to fly in still conditions or coastal air.

Go have a tif with an instructor who is familiar with the 330 robin.
    Some body here may be available if you are nearby them.

There is alot of fun in slow flying ,dont let the speed thing get you as even the fastest trikes are slow by commercial standards but land at c150 speeds.

the slow trikes are much better at outlanding with less injury ..but this is a can of worms here.

keep us posted, this could be good story .
    Last edited by Nikolatesla; 28-11-19 at 02:58 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikolatesla For This Useful Post:

dickymint (02-12-19), Gentreau (28-11-19)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Probably best to get an inspector to look at it and tell you what is/is not salvageable.
    You can find a listing of local schools and inspectors on the BMAA website at : https://www.bmaa.org/try-microlighti...d-clubs-search

You say that you don't intend to fly it, but I would suggest that you at least have a trial flight in a flexwing (if you haven't already) just so you know what you're missing ....

Good luck, and do please keep us updated.
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Thanks for all the advice. I had a flight a couple of years ago and enjoyed it. If i were to take it up I'd probably want something a little more modern.
    I also have enough restoration projects on my hands right now. Whilst I'm sure I could get the engine and trike up to working order, I'd be much happier with a two-seater so this is up for sale.
    if you want a project feel free to drop me a line.