Thanks

Quik Forks positioning

I learned today that you can position your forks on the base tube in two positions. One suits for folks up to 5í9Ē as it places the fork/ pedals nearer the pilot and another, 50mm closer to the nose, for taller folks needing leg room.
    As it happens, mine is in the short person position and recently I noticed the tyre had rubbed the pod.
    No heavy landings to report and everything is as it should be (straight etc). I guess I mustíve used a lot of suspension travel on a recent landing but regardless, it seems odd that there is a position which places the front wheel rearward enough for potential pod damage if the forks fully compress.
    My friends trike has the fork in the forward position and the front wheel is nice and central in the wheel arch/space and the pod seems well clear of the tyre for any eventually.

Anyone else had this occur or tips for me?
    Iíve got short legs so itíll be a shame to move the forks forward but I donít want to run risk of puncture etc.

Thanks
    The suspension on the Quiks typically lost approx 1/3 of their travel whilst sitting on the ground empty, when you add a pilot and pax then the remaining available suspension travel was greatly reduced which could explain the tyre rub if you have the standard set up.
    A guy called Kev Armstrong (aka factory fit on this forum but now mostly on facebook) modified a new system that retained all of the suspension travel thus massively improving its performance and eliminating the "bottoming out" feel, I had the new suspension on my Quik in 2010 and it's one of the better mods available.
    He sends the new modified units to you (it's quite an easy fit) and you return your old units back to him so you don't lose any airtime, can't remember the exact cost but less than £300 including BMAA mod charges and a nominal charge for my inspector to sign it off springs to mind.
    The system worked so well that P&M adopted/copied it and started fitting on later machines, I guess the BMAA will have a contact number for Kev should you want it.
    G-HAMS a pretty quick Quik

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Morton For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (29-12-19)

Thanks
    Dave has already nailed it, make friends with Kev A on Facebook.

He is a very sharing sort of person, and a top bloke.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I messaged Kevin on Facebook and he sent me this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin A
    I'm no longer registered on the forum, any chance of passing on my email, when will be only too pleased to assist.
    It's (I will send that by PM to avoid getting him spammed).
    The cost is around £100 not £300, I do the conversion for free
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Fantastic thank you for the help - I will definitely get this done

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No worries.

If you haven't already, take some time to browse the forum, there is a wealth of information here.
    Particularly useful is the "alternative parts" forum which could save you a bundle of cash
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.