Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paultheparaglider View Post

I have spent very many happy hours in a friend's Thruster TST back in the late eighties / early nineties - a machine I really enjoyed. However, it had a 503 which drank fuel once you tried to cruise much over 60 mph.
    By the way, Martin, if I recall correctly you ended up with the TST I'm referring to here. How have you enjoyed it?

Paul.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by paultheparaglider View Post
    By the way, Martin, if I recall correctly you ended up with the TST I'm referring to here. How have you enjoyed it?

Paul.
    Yes and I hope to have a great season in 'DE in 2020.
    Also I've sent you a PM
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    The main problem might be a difficulty in getting trained effectively on one. Is that right? Or can the current owner sign you off?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
    The main problem might be a difficulty in getting trained effectively on one. Is that right? Or can the current owner sign you off?
    Or do you not have to get a formal type conversion on microlights? Good news if you donít

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
    Or do you not have to get a formal type conversion on microlights? Good news if you don’t
    That's right. With a microlight licence the only formal type conversion is between control types, ie flex to three axis or t'other way round.(I'm not sure about floatplanes?).
    Anyway no other legal requirements for type conversion or sign off.
    What's legal and what's sensible may be different things however.
    (Incidentally this is another reason why I'm not in favour of the move to 600kg - the differences between a 600kg plastic fantastic and a 390kg taildragger like a TST are too great to carry on without some kind of formal conversion training imho)
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    What's legal and what's sensible may be different things however.
    (Incidentally this is another reason why I'm not in favour of the move to 600kg - the differences between a 600kg plastic fantastic and a 390kg taildragger like a TST are too great to carry on without some kind of formal conversion training imho)
    Some of us are already flying 450kg Skyrangers, 472.5kg Eurofoxes or Eurostars. Should our options be limited by 390kg AX3s or tail dragging Thrusters?

I think a taildragger is a different set of skills regardless of weight. You know a lot more than me about the previous statement. Would you say undercarriage layout or weight is a bigger factor in aircraft up to 750kg MAUW?
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    That's right. With a microlight licence the only formal type conversion is between control types, ie flex to three axis or t'other way round.(I'm not sure about floatplanes?).
    Unless rules changed recently, differences training required for multi-engine microlights and a seamanship rating (or some such) is required for floats or flying boat. It's a rare enough occurrence that phoning Aaron at the BMAA for details wouldn't break the switchboard.

Edit: and a Powered Parachute requires a separate rating
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 11-01-20 at 14:44 PM. Reason: differences training

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    Some of us are already flying 450kg Skyrangers, 472.5kg Eurofoxes or Eurostars. Should our options be limited by 390kg AX3s or tail dragging Thrusters?

I think a taildragger is a different set of skills regardless of weight. You know a lot more than me about the previous statement. Would you say undercarriage layout or weight is a bigger factor in aircraft up to 750kg MAUW?
    Understand that what I mean is that someone who has trained in a 600kg machine will struggle to convert without expert help to a 390kg one. And schools will migrate to the heavier weight pretty quickly.
    Yes, our options should be limited. For heavier than 450kg, go get an SSEA rating. It's not difficult. That way we can be sure that (legal) pilots have the appropriate skills.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Have to agree Martin, uprating to SSEA is not complicated and gives access to the faster heavier aircraft, I have to say to me 600kg simply misses the whole point of what a microlight is.
    It will of course be a great benefit to those who want the weight allowance of an SSEA type but are unwilling/unable to get the rating, but I forsee increased regulation on the whole class as a result

10. The Following User Says Thank You to _Red_ For This Useful Post:

Martin Watson (11-01-20)

Thanks
    There are hidden benefits in microlights for some, eg. accepted, generally, to fly in countries across the Channel, not so with SSEA; allowed to hire (factory built) microlights; not so SSEA; allowed ab initio training in owned kit microlight, not so (I think) in SSEA.

I suspect it's these and other similar differences which make people want to extend the microlight category into more "practical" weight limits. I also suspect its why manufacturers were so keen to extend the microlight class to 450kg(+) a couple of decades ago.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor