Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Nice landing

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Halibut For This Useful Post:

Trev C (09-03-20)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Congratulations. I owned a beautiful red 100 HP Skranger Classic similar to yours for 5 years. Fantastic Airplane, loads of fun and great for touring. Safe flying and enjoy.

Damien
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to damienair For This Useful Post:

Trev C (09-03-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
    Nice landing
    You only put the best ones online

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by damienair View Post
    Congratulations. I owned a beautiful red 100 HP Skranger Classic similar to yours for 5 years. Fantastic Airplane, loads of fun and great for touring. Safe flying and enjoy.

Damien
    Are you mostly flying flexies now, Damien?
    If you're hanging on to a rising balloon, you're presented with a difficult decision - let go before it's too late or hang on and keep getting higher, posing the question: how long can you keep a grip on the rope?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hello Halibut,

Yes I am only flying a Quantum 503 now. Thankfully I started flying the year before I got married, I started doing my NPPL(M) in September 2005. I qualified in April 2006 and in May that year I bought an X-Air. My first Microlight, I logged over 80 hours in it in my first year. In May 2007 I went to Popham, took a flight with Paul Dewhurst in a Skyranger and fell in love. 2 weeks later I was the proud owner of a beautiful Red Skyranger Classic with a 10 hour old Rotax 912s which I flew home to Ireland from Fishburn. The Skyranger was fantastic. I flew it to Popham twice, and also made a trip to Spamfield. In one weekend I flew it from Ireland to Northern Ireland, Scotland, South Coast of England and into Wales before flying back across the Irish Sea.
    Then the Kids came along. Flying took a serious nose dive, going from 150 hours per year to less than 30. I used to do 30 hours in a weekend at one time. Around that time I took a flight in a Weightshift as a re-validation flight. And that was it, I fell in love with Flexwing flying, did a conversion course and afterwards I bought a cheap little Pegasus XL 462 to practice on. But I had 2 Microlights now, a Skyranger and a Pegasus XL 462. When the weather was good and calm I always flew the Pegasus XL 462, I much preferred flying the old XL to the Skyranger. Then little boy number 2 arrived and I decided to sell the Skyranger. I had owned the Skyranger for 5 years and it didn't make sense to own a lovely beautiful hangar queen. It was time to say goodbye. I sold it and delivered it to Manchester Barton. I flew away in the XL then for a while and upgraded it with loads of donor parts.
    I've been flying my lovely Quantum 503 now for the last 5 years. I love it and it is perfect for me right now. The boys are getting older and I am getting away flying a little bit more now. I logged over 50 hours last year. When I get back towards 80 hours per year I will upgrade to a ship capable of some longer distance touring. My wish would be to buy a Quik GT-450. But I have a few adventures to do in my Quantum 503 first.

Damien
    Last edited by damienair; 21-04-20 at 09:40 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to damienair For This Useful Post:

Halibut (21-04-20), Martin Watson (21-04-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by damienair View Post
    Hello Halibut,

Yes I am only flying a Quantum 503 now. Thankfully I started flying the year before I got married, I started doing my NPPL(M) in September 2005. I qualified in April 2006 and in May that year I bought an X-Air. My first Microlight, I logged over 80 hours in it in my first year. In May 2007 I went to Popham, took a flight with Paul Dewhurst in a Skyranger and fell in love. 2 weeks later I was the proud owner of a beautiful Red Skyranger Classic with a 10 hour old Rotax 912s which I flew home to Ireland from Fishburn. The Skyranger was fantastic. I flew it to Popham twice, and also made a trip to Spamfield. In one weekend I flew it from Ireland to Northern Ireland, Scotland, South Coast of England and into Wales before flying back across the Irish Sea.
    Then the Kids came along. Flying took a serious nose dive, going from 150 hours per year to less than 30. I used to do 30 hours in a weekend at one time. Around that time I took a flight in a Weightshift as a re-validation flight. And that was it, I fell in love with Flexwing flying, did a conversion course and afterwards I bought a cheap little Pegasus XL 462 to practice on. But I had 2 Microlights now, a Skyranger and a Pegasus XL 462. When the weather was good and calm I always flew the Pegasus XL 462, I much preferred flying the old XL to the Skyranger. Then little boy number 2 arrived and I decided to sell the Skyranger. I had owned the Skyranger for 5 years and it didn't make sense to own a lovely beautiful hangar queen. It was time to say goodbye. I sold it and delivered it to Manchester Barton. I flew away in the XL then for a while and upgraded it with loads of donor parts.
    I've been flying my lovely Quantum 503 now for the last 5 years. I love it and it is perfect for me right now. The boys are getting older and I am getting away flying a little bit more now. I logged over 50 hours last year. When I get back towards 80 hours per year I will upgrade to a ship capable of some longer distance touring. My wish would be to buy a Quik GT-450. But I have a few adventures to do in my Quantum 503 first.

Damien
    How did you find the conversion from three-axis? I want to try, but I'm worried about instinctively pulling the bar back when only a few feet from the runway.
    If you're hanging on to a rising balloon, you're presented with a difficult decision - let go before it's too late or hang on and keep getting higher, posing the question: how long can you keep a grip on the rope?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I enjoyed the Conversion Course. It is very different. But the controls make sense when you are sitting in the machine. Actually steering on the ground was the weirdest part initially. The upper air work was fine and I really enjoyed that aspect of the training. I remember finding the take off and the landings took a bit of time to grasp. On take off I was applying a little too much pressure on the trottle with my right foot which would induce a little bit of a left hand turn on the ground before lifting off. When landing I was fine all the way down along the approach. I had difficulty when I reached the height of a double decker bus off the ground and found the round-out weird. My instructor got around this by getting me to forget about landing. He would get me to approach and fly level down along the runway at 10ft off the ground. Then on next approach reduced the flight over the runway to about 5 ft. Then each time I went around I would repeat until I was only a foot off the runway. After that I had to reduce power whilst flying over the runway but keep the GT-450 flying. After a couple of hours of this I was kissing the runway with perfect landings every time.

If you look at my blog on this forum I did a full blog of my conversion. It was frustrating at times due to the infrequency of the lessons. My mother-in-law was very ill at the time, we were living in a little cottage renting so as my wife could spend as much time with her Mum as possible during her last few months. And our little man was a 1 year old at the time, weather, busy day job, you get the picture. But I did it. It took me about 9 hours in total to convert over. I have logged over 520 hours in 3-Axis and around 250 hours in Weightshifts. Try it out. I did it initially as the 1 hour every 2-years re-validation flight. That was an expensive decision but one I'm glad I made.

Damien

11. The Following User Says Thank You to damienair For This Useful Post:

Halibut (24-04-20)

Thanks
    As soon as this craziness ends Damien, the flock will be up for a visit. Keep the faith