Thanks

Amphibious aircraft training / On-water schooling

Hello guys!

I am looking for a schooling for on water operation for microlight aviation somewhere in UE member state.
    Unluckyly I cannot find such a training in my home land (Poland), maybe you can recommend some facilities. Germany/Czech would be great

What I need is a 'water operation' extention to my polish microlight licence. The way I wish to get it is via (1) validation of my licence in member state, (2) getting 'water' training in member state, (3) validate 'water' as extension to polish license. The alternative would be to complete regular PPL training, then complete 'water' training, and then ask my aviation authoities to downgrade the qualification to microlight, but this seems a overkill in terms of money (ca. 8k EUR) and time (few months)

Thanks in advance
    Tomasz (Super Petrel)

Thanks
    Hi Tomasz
    Welcome to the forum. Sorry nobody's been able to help with your query.
    The Super Pétrel looks an interesting type that comes under 600kg MTOW limits which are applied to Microlights in some EU countries. In the UK we (currently) follow the FAI definition of 450kg basic MTOW, so it wouldn't class as a microlight here (yet?).
    Getting an extension for water operation on a UK microlight licence is much easier than it seems to be for you. Even so, only a few of us have one because there is only very limited water that we may use here for float-plane operations.
    Good luck with getting your extension - it would be nice if you would write on here about some of your experiences in the Super Pétrel.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Tomasz,

There is at least one super Petrel operating in France.
    Don't know how good your French is, but you may want to contact http://www.association-francaise-hydraviation.fr/

All the best.
    Clive.
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Joan, do you know where it is legal to fly from water in the UK?

In Berlin years ago, I was in a park near the river and was amazed to see a Cessna fly over and land on the water. Here, the authorities here would probably go berserk.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Antoni, I believe Scotland is pretty much ok on any body of water (whilst obeying the ANO in other respects of course) but as far as I remember South of the wall, its a simple No-F**k Orf my land/water (pretty much every inch of England and wales is privately owned even the parts they jokingly call national parks are only accessible to you and me if we don red socks and stick to precisely defined paths)

(sorry being an increasingly frustrated trail rider it's a pet peeve)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    Joan, do you know where it is legal to fly from water in the UK?

... Here, the authorities here would probably go berserk.
    I believe you can alight on water anywhere inland with the owner's permission. It's getting the owner's permission that's usually the challenge. If you don't mind rinsing down your aircraft each time you fly, there's masses of water available round the coast; but it's very salty which metalwork usually doesn't like. It's also generally occupied by people who really don't expect someone dropping in from the sky - and you'd want to check any proposed landing site for flotsam and jetsam and other such floating hazards.

A quick internet search shows the UK Seaplane Association has links to a couple of organisations.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor