Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Motorbikes and snow are a bad idea!

I think that just maybe, taking the bike into work this morning may have been a mistake

After enduring the slush in Edinburgh I graduated onto snow and 'enjoyed' a 7 mile ride on snow!

IMG_20200210_162828.jpg

My mate from work who also rides an Africa Twin left the office just before and happily, also made it home safely, although neither of us really know how the hell we managed it!

IMG-20200210-WA0002_edit.jpg

Thanks
    Remember I got my first bike a Honda 250 Superdream in December
    couldn`t wait to get out on it
    Pair of jeans and some thin gloves
    2 miles later turned round went back home and left it in shed till it got warmer

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    For several years I had only motorcycles for transport, so getting to work in the winter was always on the bike.
    I had a sidecar (or more accuratley, a sidecar chassis with a questionable wooden structure attached) which I would fit to the bike at some point in December and use until early March.
    With some practise, 3 independent brakes and weight shift allow the combination to be thrown about in the snow so as to scare the hell out of everyone else on the road!
    I'm now older and perhaps a little less stupid and I have the choice of a van or the bike, so the bike only comes out in winter for pleasure, not for commuting.
    G-BZNP Still not dead, but resting following engine failure.

Thanks
    I can not imagine having to travel kilometers on a motorcycle while it snows, it must be super painful for both the rider and the motorcycle
    Working at the best web positioning company.
    Seoplanner

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    LizzieLowe, I've ridden hundreds if not thousands of miles in snow, with only a couple of 'spills', both at very low speed and without injury or significant damage.
    With the right clothing (armoured jacket and trousers with thermal liners, boots and gloves - open face helmet with a neoprene mask) the cold is not an issue.
    As for riding the bike, I just ride to the conditions. If the grip available is 1/10 of dry grip, then I ride slower and leave more room for manouvres.

I've also flown a paramotor in snow. That was more challenging - trying to get set up without everything getting wet and running for launch through snow were quite challenging, but the reward of flying over snow covered countryside was well worth it.
    Iwouldn' want to fly a microlight in snow. Last year, I had to make a forced landing following engine failure - I would not like to be guessing what might be under the snow in a random field.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Twissell View Post
    - I would not like to be guessing what might be under the snow in a random field.
    You could always fit skis to your Thruster - then you'd never find out what's under the snow

Thanks
    There's an apocryphal story well known in the north. During the miners strike in the winter the pickets made snowmen to pass the time. The police used to mow them down with their Range Rovers. Until the pickets made one around a bollard.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antoni For This Useful Post:

Halibut (06-08-20), Peter Twissell (29-07-20)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Poetic justice!
    I remember as a kid making sandcastles with my brother on a beach. There was one kid running around kicking down everyones sandcastles, so we put a moderately large rock inside ours.

Thanks
    Spent years with only motorbikes including a couple of years as a courier in the late 80's. I've ridden in some stupid conditions but nowadays try not to. Snow is just a no-go for me. Last time I tried it, I dropped the bike on a roundabout at low speed and cracked a rocker cover. I'd been at work since 8am and no snow was forecast but we worked late and I didn't leave until 9:30pm and there was by then 3-4" of snow on the roads. It was the last day of work before Christmas so I decided to risk it. Not exactly smart. Still only damaged a rocker cover so cheap to fix.

I'll happily ride in the cold though, a heated jacket, a rukka 2-piece suit and I'm warm and dry in any weather. I'm wondering if a microlight would have the power to run the heated jacket, which might be handy for winter flying

Thanks
    If it has any kind of DC electrical system that I've ever seen, it would.

I have a heated jacket.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.