Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: QFU ?

  1. #1
    Trainee Pilot Trev C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    55
    Thanks
    31
    Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

    Lightbulb QFU ?

    Ok
    Bear in mind I am only training
    What is QFU ?


  2. #2
    Training Captain Gentreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    2,674
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    443
    Thanked 221 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev C View Post
    Ok
    Bear in mind I am only training
    What is QFU ?
    This might help you
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeronautical_Code_signals
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.


    Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

    Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

    .

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gentreau For This Useful Post:

    Halibut (22-02-20), Trev C (15-02-20)


  4. #3
    Captain MadamBreakneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    1,991
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 275 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev C View Post
    What is QFU ?
    Q codes go back to the days of radio telegraphy (ie morse) to save time putting out dots and dashes. Apart from forum use, the only ones you need in the UK real world are QFE and QNH (plus QDM and QDR if you are doing radio direction finding in your FRTOL exam).

    If you are flying at a really high altitude airfield you may need QNE

    Use Gentreau's Wikipedia link if you want to know what the old-ball ones are - or for UK use you can check out CAP413 the CAA's Radio Telephony manual.

    Sorry Gentreau - I failed to resist the temptation

    PS. I just see that CAP413 offers QDM for runway magnetic heading
    PPS and for the really, really geeky, there's this wiki page
    QBE
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 15-02-20 at 13:14 PM. Reason: PS & PPS



    Back to just bimbling in the TST.

    No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

    Halibut (22-02-20), Trev C (15-02-20)


  6. #4
    Co-Pilot Aerial's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    419
    Thanks
    102
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
    Are you winding me up? (!)

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aerial For This Useful Post:

    Trev C (16-02-20)


  8. #5
    Training Captain Gentreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    2,674
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    443
    Thanked 221 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
    Are you winding me up? (!)
    Care to explain ?
    Not obvious what you mean by this ...
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.


    Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

    Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

    .


  9. #6
    Captain MadamBreakneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Essex UK
    Posts
    1,991
    Thanks
    160
    Thanked 275 Times in 214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
    Are you winding me up? (!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentreau View Post
    Care to explain ?
    Not obvious what you mean by this ...
    The wiki page I linked to for the more arcane Q-codes says QBE = "I am about to wind in my aerial"



    Back to just bimbling in the TST.

    No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

    Gentreau (16-02-20)


  11. #7
    Training Captain Gentreau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Budapest, Hungary
    Posts
    2,674
    Blog Entries
    4
    Thanks
    443
    Thanked 221 Times in 168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    The wiki page I linked to for the more arcane Q-codes says QBE = "I am about to wind in my aerial"
    OMG ..... Boom-tish !
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.


    Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

    Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

    .

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentreau For This Useful Post:

    Trev C (16-02-20)


  13. #8
    Co-Pilot Halibut's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Location
    Sunny Suffolk
    Posts
    243
    Thanks
    97
    Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post
    Q codes go back to the days of radio telegraphy (ie morse) to save time putting out dots and dashes. Apart from forum use, the only ones you need in the UK real world are QFE and QNH (plus QDM and QDR if you are doing radio direction finding in your FRTOL exam).

    If you are flying at a really high altitude airfield you may need QNE

    Use Gentreau's Wikipedia link if you want to know what the old-ball ones are - or for UK use you can check out CAP413 the CAA's Radio Telephony manual.

    Sorry Gentreau - I failed to resist the temptation

    PS. I just see that CAP413 offers QDM for runway magnetic heading
    PPS and for the really, really geeky, there's this wiki page
    QBE
    I didn't realise there were so many.
    Mind you, an old WWII bomber pilot who was trying to teach me navigation many years ago gave a completely different meaning for QFO to the one given your list.
    The Germans, apparently, would sometimes follow RAF bombers home from raids so they could attack their airfields. If this was detected, the pilot would be given the order to go elsewhere: QFO
    I'll let you work out what it translated as...
    Are you the farmer?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Halibut For This Useful Post:

    Trev C (17-02-20)


  15. #9
    Co-Pilot Arielarts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    705
    Thanks
    59
    Thanked 111 Times in 99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
    I didn't realise there were so many.
    Mind you, an old WWII bomber pilot who was trying to teach me navigation many years ago gave a completely different meaning for QFO to the one given your list.
    The Germans, apparently, would sometimes follow RAF bombers home from raids so they could attack their airfields. If this was detected, the pilot would be given the order to go elsewhere: QFO
    I'll let you work out what it translated as...
    In a similar vain, perhaps QFU is a mission gone wrong

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Arielarts For This Useful Post:

    Halibut (22-02-20)


  17. #10
    Co-Pilot Antoni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Derbyshire
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked 42 Times in 33 Posts
    A really good one is ... QRM?

    Back in the days of morse, the question mark at the end ( . . - - . . ) makes the message read:

    Are you being interfered with ?

    Another one that tickles me is a nautical flag signal which means "You may feel your way past me".

    Would've been a handy one in the pubs of the 80s.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Antoni For This Useful Post:

    Halibut (22-02-20)


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •