Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Thanks

Licence validity period extension

http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4No1376.pdf

Blanket extension till November. But note you have to get an instructor to endorse it via email or letter etc following a briefing by phone or Skype. At least that's how I read it.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Watson For This Useful Post:

Halibut (17-04-20)

Thanks
    I've read it start to finish three times now and I don't believe I've understood it yet.

I do note there's also a mandatory instructional flight at the end of it all for those who need the extension before they can get revalidation.

Note to self: must check when my validity runs out if I don't get to fly again for a while.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Yes an instructional flight is required after the end of the current restrictions. Effectively the extension means that if the current validity period expires during 'lockdown' then rather than needing to revalidate by test, you can still revalidate by experience with the one hour instructor flight.
    They aren't really giving anything away, just stopping the clock during 'lockdown'

Does that sound right?
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Watson For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (10-04-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    Does that sound right?
    Yup, as I now see it:
    • If you don't come to the end of your validity period during the lock down - proceed as normal
    • If you do, but you have already met the revalidation requirements - get revalidated, even if it means posting your log book and/or licence as required to your R-examiner
    • If you do, and haven't met the requirements yet, get the phone briefing and paperwork from yor instructor, fly when you may/can on the extended validity, and get your licence properly revalidated with an refresher instructional flight when it's all over.

Agreed they are the options, or is there something else?

(I'll leave instructors and examiners to sort themselves out )

PS if in doubt, I suggest you contact your favourite R-examiner (or otherwise me by PM) and email a photo of the relevant pages of your logbook so they can check before you post any valuable documents.
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 11-04-20 at 10:43 AM. Reason: PS

Thanks
    Not a fan of this "hour with an instructor" in order to keep your license current and think this is the perfect opportunity to approach the CAA for it's removal and apply the hours flown per time period method.
    G-HAMS a pretty quick Quik

Thanks
    I think on balance it is a good thing though perhaps has some silly aspects like being able to do it on an aircraft with a completely different control system, but I agree that now is probably the perfect time to broach the subject with the CAA

(Or is this now in the remit of the BMAA to change since they were given responsibility for Licence issue?)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Morton View Post
    Not a fan of this "hour with an instructor" in order to keep your license current and think this is the perfect opportunity to approach the CAA for it's removal and apply the hours flown per time period method.
    A very good idea but timing is critical. I don't think we can ask for 600kg with no increase in licence requirements and ask for something to dropped at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by _Red_ View Post
    (Or is this now in the remit of the BMAA to change since they were given responsibility for Licence issue?)
    Whilst I think that the BMAA do all the legwork and heavy stuff in writing and developing the syllabus, the final yes or no is the CAA's sole authority.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by _Red_ View Post
    ...some silly aspects like being able to do it on an aircraft with a completely different control system...
    I know they've picked that one up with instructors who fly more than one control system and they have to take their reval tests (give-or-take) alternating between control systems.

I think one of the big things with the hour-with-an-instructor is that people have mixed it up with the 'biennial filght test' which some licences require. It is not a test - I signed people off after spending time teaching them how to do a permit check flight, usually doing it for real on their own aircraft at permit time; the new strip skills course that the BMAA sponsor would also count.

Having said that, I'm an old school PPL(M) and I haven't flown with an instructor since my last reval test; nearest I got was flying the Pipistrel simulator at Deepak Mahajan's place..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    ... I don't think we can ask for 600kg with no increase in licence requirements and ask for something to dropped at the same time.

y.
    Yes. And there are those of us who think we'd be better off asking for the reval process to be modified rather than asking for 600kg.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Martin Watson For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (12-04-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    Yes. And there are those of us who think we'd be better off asking for the reval process to be modified rather than asking for 600kg.

You can count me in that group.
    I wonder how the numbers work out for and against?.
    The few fellow Pilot/friends I have all want the increase so they can carry full fuel and pax/luggage legaly without changing their licence/Aircraft, a position I understand but don't agree with
    It will help sell a few more aircraft too of course

14. The Following User Says Thank You to _Red_ For This Useful Post:

MadamBreakneck (12-04-20)