Thanks

Pegasus XL-Q 462 battery install + radio mod

Hi,

Looking to add a radio following this minor modification https://www.bmaa.org/files/til_101_flexwing_radio.pdf but the aircraft doesn't have regulator/battery yet. How does one go about getting to the stage where you have a power system? Is there another approved modification that would allow this?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burgessto View Post
    Hi,

Looking to add a radio following this minor modification https://www.bmaa.org/files/til_101_flexwing_radio.pdf but the aircraft doesn't have regulator/battery yet. How does one go about getting to the stage where you have a power system? Is there another approved modification that would allow this?
    So, for factory builds, some mods are factory ones, you just do them and an inspector can counter sign in the log book, add it to the list of mods at the front after this. If it's not on the TADS as a factory mod, then first thing I'd do is to approach the inspector you'll be asking to sign it off and see what he regards as the best route. If that's inconclusive, then contact the BMAA. IIRC the details for fitting the regulator are in the circuit diagram for the Q, or in the Rotax manual for the 462.

The Q was sometimes sold with a regulator, and it simply sat across the spare set of coils on the mag. One set for ignition, one set for the rev counter (at least on mine), and the last one (the 110W one), connected to a regulator rectifier. I had the unit that doesn't need a 1A load, I didn't have a battery as I had no starter and hence no need for one. This rectifier supplied a radio, the intercom and a water temperate gauge that needed DC to work.

If you're fitting a rectifier/regulator you might want to look for the multi-colour LED that some P&M aircraft used to indicate what was going on with charging, under/fine/over, and they used something like the Gammatronix LED linked to here on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAMMATRON...E/190462726857
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Radio and intercom can be self-powered from internal batteries. You could ask yourself if the radio installation actually needs an aircraft power supply. I suppose it depends on how long you expect to be away from civilisation between recharge opportunities.

We've been operating our TST for over 20 years quite satisfactorily on that basis.

Not saying you shouldn't add an aircraft power circuit, just suggesting you ask if you realy need to.

Have fun.

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor