Thanks

member of the ultralight community

I'm a 71 year old man who was introduced to aircraft at an early age as my old dad rebuilt old aeroncas and cubs as a hobby and a supplement to our family income . We would hunt fox from the old 85 champ and did quite well in the times of the early sixties. Right now I am a "semi retired pipefitter welder" who repairs motorcycles, mainly and tries to keep an airworthy ultralight around to keep my head in the air and my spirits above sealevel. Times are a little rough right now but not undoable. I sold my quicksilver MX Sprint last year and acquired a Kolb Firestar that a guy had ground looped in the process of self-teaching himself to fly. He had no idea of what a wind sock was for and chopped the power going downwind when he was running out of run way and successfully ground-looped it,ruining a wing tip and one gear leg. It is very easily repaired with sufficient funds which I almost have acquired(don't tell the wife). It has stits fabric which is a lot easier to work with than the old traditional butyrate systems. My Kolb has a DCDI 503 Rotax with about 70 hrs. and the plane has about 140 hrs. I have never been a legally licensed pilot but have logged hours inAeronca champs,Chiefs, Cessna 150's, 185's(what a sweet flying plane) along with a Dehaviland Beaver ( the Queen of the sky) and flights in various other aircraft private and commercial. I reside in north Dakota at the n.e. part of the state on an old farmstead where law enforcement is something non-existant as there are 31 people in my township and we have no need of them. Oh, I also flew in some helicopters while serving in the USMC as a recon grunt in Viet Nam but not noteworthy as flight time to me . I look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge with the members here and thank you for the welcome. Have a good one and Later!!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cliffm For This Useful Post:

Gentreau (19-05-20), Halibut (20-05-20), MadamBreakneck (20-05-20)

Thanks
    Hello cliffm and welcome to the forum.

I was working in NE for a while recently but it's a sparsely populated place - didn't get much contact with ultralight flying.

My earliest experience of flight was hang-gliding lessons late 80s. One or two of the people at those lessons thought "bugger paying this money we'll do it ourselves". I know 'cos I met them abt 20 years later, still flying.

A few weeks ago I was talking on the amateur radio to a bod who bought a paramotor rig and taught himself to fly it from a book, scaring himself shitless along the way. "Paramotoring from the ground up". It is a very good book but I didn't do what that bod did.

Years ago I went to a paramotoring school for a chat with the instructor. "Whatever you pay me is what you won't have to pay replacing your propellers and cages".

There's a saying in northern England - "There's nowt so queer as folk" - It's Googleable.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffm View Post
    I'm a 71 year old man who was introduced to aircraft at an early age as my old dad rebuilt old aeroncas and cubs as a hobby and a supplement to our family income . We would hunt fox from the old 85 champ and did quite well in the times of the early sixties. Right now I am a "semi retired pipefitter welder" who repairs motorcycles, mainly and tries to keep an airworthy ultralight around to keep my head in the air and my spirits above sealevel. Times are a little rough right now but not undoable. I sold my quicksilver MX Sprint last year and acquired a Kolb Firestar that a guy had ground looped in the process of self-teaching himself to fly. He had no idea of what a wind sock was for and chopped the power going downwind when he was running out of run way and successfully ground-looped it,ruining a wing tip and one gear leg. It is very easily repaired with sufficient funds which I almost have acquired(don't tell the wife). It has stits fabric which is a lot easier to work with than the old traditional butyrate systems. My Kolb has a DCDI 503 Rotax with about 70 hrs. and the plane has about 140 hrs. I have never been a legally licensed pilot but have logged hours inAeronca champs,Chiefs, Cessna 150's, 185's(what a sweet flying plane) along with a Dehaviland Beaver ( the Queen of the sky) and flights in various other aircraft private and commercial. I reside in north Dakota at the n.e. part of the state on an old farmstead where law enforcement is something non-existant as there are 31 people in my township and we have no need of them. Oh, I also flew in some helicopters while serving in the USMC as a recon grunt in Viet Nam but not noteworthy as flight time to me . I look forward to sharing experiences and knowledge with the members here and thank you for the welcome. Have a good one and Later!!
    Sounds like you've been having a great time, Cliffm. Have you got any pictures along the way - of your flying and your farmstead?
    Are you the farmer?