Thanks

icom a3 or a22 TX not working

Hi,
    I must be the last one left using one of these but my intercom system is the old battery box flycom one and it's a lot of dosh to modernise. Does anyone have one of the above lying around or able to guide me on replacing whatever Electronics are gone haywire?
    I called icom and they say it could be a PA?? Is that a power amplifier of some sort?
    Sorry im no good at Electronics.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by Wexfordair; 27-07-20 at 09:11 AM.

Thanks
    Usually the icom A3/A22 stop transmitting because someone has pressed the transmit button without an antenna being connected, or the one you have the grounding tape has failed, you only have to press it once or twice and the damage is done. Everything else on the icom will work,but it just doesn’t transmit anymore.

If you have an old CB swr metre it’s easy enough to check it.
    If you get stuck I have a couple of A22 trancevers I took off a plane last week.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    That sounds like it alright Andy. I'll be in touch if I can't bring it back to life, tnx

Thanks
    Looks like yours is the best option Andy! PM sent.

Thanks
    Not necessarily related to Wexfordair's problem following discussion, Andy makes a very good point. Everyone should have a CB SWR meter. They're very cheap and very easy to use (google will be your friend if not). They are not intended for VHF but are accurate enough for our purposes. Microlight antenna installations are notorious. If you get an SWR reading that's not in the red think yourself lucky. Then the radio should be content and the radio range should be sufficient.

The antenna installation from BNC plug to the antenna itself - especially with weightshifts - is exposed to damp, cable flexing, chafing, and sometimes straightforward water. This is the only piece of the avionics that never gets checked in decades. No wonder people have so many problems with comms.

I feel better now.
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Antoni For This Useful Post:

andy dixon (01-08-20), Gentreau (31-07-20)

Thanks
    OP doesn't say whether it's actually going intio transmit mode in the first place, If the TX icon isn't coming on, suspect the PTT circuit.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Arielarts View Post
    OP doesn't say whether it's actually going intio transmit mode in the first place, If the TX icon isn't coming on, suspect the PTT circuit.
    Fair point, but we had a conversation and my conclusion was that the radio is ******. From the conversation we had I don't believe his PA transistor had necessarily blown. The PAs are not particularly delicate but of course with the usual crap antenna installations thaey could die over time. His radio itself with its battery was not audible to someone 25 yards away. The radio changed mode from RX to TX both on the aircraft and by using the radio's side PTT. He said that he had good TX and RX range prior to the failure.

A 25 kHz radio is not worth getting repared no matter what's wrong with it (unless you can do it yourself...).
    Last edited by Antoni; 31-07-20 at 16:48 PM. Reason: yourself
    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" - G.B.S.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Antoni For This Useful Post:

Wexfordair (02-08-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoni View Post
    This is the only piece of the avionics that never gets checked in decades. No wonder people have so many problems with comms.
    Conversely in my experience is this is the only piece of avionics that likely wont work properly when first installed and will command more attention than almost anything else on the Aeroplane.
    Last edited by Gentreau; 02-08-20 at 07:05 AM.