Thanks

Skyranger Flight Handling

Hi! My first time posting to the forum. Iím looking for someone with experience flying both the Skyranger Classic and Swift. My 2003 Skyranger Classic is flown in the foothills of a mountain range. It's extremely slow control response in roll, makes dealing with mid-day thermals or surface winds over the mountainsí terrain, quite a workout.

Does the Swift model with the shorter wing, handle the above conditions better? How much better?
    Would it be worth changing the wings? I may be changing the sails soon anyway.

Thanks

flint

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi there and welcome to the forum.
    One tip, if you want people to reply, it's not a good idea to close the thread
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie-down your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.
    Rule #3: You can never have too much fuel in an aircraft. Unless it's on fire.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentreau For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (06-09-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flint View Post
    Hi! My first time posting to the forum. Iím looking for someone with experience flying both the Skyranger Classic and Swift. My 2003 Skyranger Classic is flown in the foothills of a mountain range. It's extremely slow control response in roll, makes dealing with mid-day thermals or surface winds over the mountainsí terrain, quite a workout.

Does the Swift model with the shorter wing, handle the above conditions better? How much better?
    Would it be worth changing the wings? I may be changing the sails soon anyway.
    Paul Dewhurst is the man for this. He's forgotten more about the Skyranger than some of us will ever know...

However, before we bother the oracle, let's look at the basics.

What sort of weight are you flying at?

How good is your stick/rudder co-ordination?

What sort of trim speeds are you flying at? Are you sure that those speeds are accurate?

Slack in aileron cables? Slack in rudder cables?

I own half a Classic. I've flown a friend's Swift. I'll say that there isn't a huge amount of difference between them. I've not ever had to push either anywhere near the limits of control when correcting for thermals, even in Summer conditions. Both Classic and Swift have enormous aileron/rudder authority, as evidenced by their insane sideslip when provoked. I'd intuitively expect the Swift to be better in roll, but then you have to compare control surfaces and see if the Classic has more span to the aileron.

What you may find if you correct for thermals in roll only is that you get adverse yaw when doing so. This would make things sluggish. As a flex to 3 axis pilot, I've had to start using my feet properly and still continue to polish this aspect of 3 axis flying. As thermals change roll and direction a small but swift boot of the rudder pedals works wonders.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    I agree with SteveU - there's something wrong here. 'Extremely slow roll response' Compared to what? What are your expectations? Compared to other ultralights and to most GA aircraft (Cessnas, Piper's etc) the classic Skyranger has a very good rate of roll.
    So either something is amiss with the way the aircraft is set up, or with your technique. Which is good news - the solution is going to be much quicker, simpler and cheaper than you fear.
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    Gentreau,

Thanks for the welcome and the tip not to close the thread.

flint

Thanks
    I suppose another point to ponder is what roll rate you actually need to cope with your local thermals and mountain winds. Maybe its more than we in the UK are used to experiencing!

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

flint (09-09-20)

Thanks
    Flying today in medium conditions.

When trimmed right back to to under 60mph, I can get some wallowing in broken or stronger lift. Above 65 it's good, above 70mph it's sharp, precise and needs only small control movements.

A few days ago when it was very lifty and sinky I succumbed to the temptation after some very bad sinking air to simply circle in a thermal to climb up rather then opening the throttle, 700 ft/min at cruise power...
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"