Thread: Saddle Washers

Thanks

Saddle Washers

Need some saddle washers for 50mm tube (between keel and nose plates on my Ace Cyclone.
    Nothing looks the right size on t'internet. Any ideas? A handful would be nice as they seem to have a habit of breaking in two but 500 might be a few too many
    thanks
    Trevor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor9 View Post
    Need some saddle washers for 50mm tube (between keel and nose plates on my Ace Cyclone.
    Nothing looks the right size on t'internet. Any ideas? A handful would be nice as they seem to have a habit of breaking in two but 500 might be a few too many
    thanks
    Trevor
    Phone call to Flylight or JP-E in India?
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor9 View Post
    thanks
    Trevor
    Get hold of a scrapped hang glider , they cant give most of them away once the sails are gone, lots of useful stuff for trikes there .

Slightly smaller is better than slightly larger but a bit of heat can make a perfect fit.

I am curious , do you know why they are failing ? perhaps the wrong size to begin with? Over tensioned? its a worry !
    Last edited by Nikolatesla; 18-09-20 at 10:00 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolatesla View Post
    Get hold of a scrapped hang glider , they cant give most of them away once the sails are gone, lots of useful stuff for trikes there .

Slightly smaller is better than slightly larger but a bit of heat can make a perfect fit.

I am curious , do you know why they are failing ? perhaps the wrong size to begin with? Over tensioned? its a worry !
    Think its just a case of the original material being a bit brittle as no evidence of over tightening, however the good folk of Pennine Wing Services and Avian Hang Gliders have been most helpful.

Old Hang Gliders? I have aircraft quality hanging rails in my wardrobes!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolatesla View Post
    The sails are gone mostly because of UV, which won't have done the plastic much good... it may be why the OP's existing ones have failed, some plastic suffers badly...

Flylight has gone to metal saddle washers in some places....
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    The sails are gone mostly because of UV, which won't have done the plastic much good... it may be why the OP's existing ones have failed, some plastic suffers badly...

Flylight has gone to metal saddle washers in some places....
    Some plastics are not "cured" and will take years to go brittle . I have not seen the metal ones and suspect that weight and stress risers would be a problem.

Flylight would know their stuff ...I'm sure they would use them in context .

Plastic saddles ( as long as they remain intact) perform a great function of stress dispersal ,they replaced the wood ones which were eventually made of 25mm marine ply.

delrin is the ideal material which was also used .

Im too old i guess ...useless knowledge perhaps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikolatesla For This Useful Post:

Randombloke (21-09-20)

Thanks
    Nikolatesla, no knowledge is useless. But that doesn't mean you are not too old. 😉