Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Saddle Washers

  1. #1
    New Member trevor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Saddle Washers

    Need some saddle washers for 50mm tube (between keel and nose plates on my Ace Cyclone.
    Nothing looks the right size on t'internet. Any ideas? A handful would be nice as they seem to have a habit of breaking in two but 500 might be a few too many
    thanks
    Trevor


  2. #2
    Captain Randombloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    1,299
    Thanks
    429
    Thanked 257 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor9 View Post
    Need some saddle washers for 50mm tube (between keel and nose plates on my Ace Cyclone.
    Nothing looks the right size on t'internet. Any ideas? A handful would be nice as they seem to have a habit of breaking in two but 500 might be a few too many
    thanks
    Trevor
    Phone call to Flylight or JP-E in India?
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"


  3. #3
    Trainee Pilot Nikolatesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    aust
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by trevor9 View Post
    Need some saddle washers for 50mm tube (between keel and nose plates on my Ace Cyclone.
    Nothing looks the right size on t'internet. Any ideas? A handful would be nice as they seem to have a habit of breaking in two but 500 might be a few too many
    thanks
    Trevor
    Get hold of a scrapped hang glider , they cant give most of them away once the sails are gone, lots of useful stuff for trikes there .

    Slightly smaller is better than slightly larger but a bit of heat can make a perfect fit.

    I am curious , do you know why they are failing ? perhaps the wrong size to begin with? Over tensioned? its a worry !
    Last edited by Nikolatesla; 18-09-20 at 10:00 AM.


  4. #4
    New Member trevor9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolatesla View Post
    Get hold of a scrapped hang glider , they cant give most of them away once the sails are gone, lots of useful stuff for trikes there .

    Slightly smaller is better than slightly larger but a bit of heat can make a perfect fit.

    I am curious , do you know why they are failing ? perhaps the wrong size to begin with? Over tensioned? its a worry !
    Think its just a case of the original material being a bit brittle as no evidence of over tightening, however the good folk of Pennine Wing Services and Avian Hang Gliders have been most helpful.

    Old Hang Gliders? I have aircraft quality hanging rails in my wardrobes!


  5. #5
    Captain Randombloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Western Europe
    Posts
    1,299
    Thanks
    429
    Thanked 257 Times in 199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolatesla View Post
    Get hold of a scrapped hang glider , they cant give most of them away once the sails are gone, lots of useful stuff for trikes there .
    The sails are gone mostly because of UV, which won't have done the plastic much good... it may be why the OP's existing ones have failed, some plastic suffers badly...

    Flylight has gone to metal saddle washers in some places....
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"


  6. #6
    Trainee Pilot Nikolatesla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    aust
    Posts
    41
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    The sails are gone mostly because of UV, which won't have done the plastic much good... it may be why the OP's existing ones have failed, some plastic suffers badly...

    Flylight has gone to metal saddle washers in some places....
    Some plastics are not "cured" and will take years to go brittle . I have not seen the metal ones and suspect that weight and stress risers would be a problem.

    Flylight would know their stuff ...I'm sure they would use them in context .

    Plastic saddles ( as long as they remain intact) perform a great function of stress dispersal ,they replaced the wood ones which were eventually made of 25mm marine ply.

    delrin is the ideal material which was also used .

    Im too old i guess ...useless knowledge perhaps.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikolatesla For This Useful Post:

    Randombloke (21-09-20)


  8. #7
    Co-Pilot Adrian Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Poole
    Posts
    165
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 36 Times in 23 Posts
    Nikolatesla, no knowledge is useless. But that doesn't mean you are not too old. 😉


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 20
    Last Post: 22-02-17, 21:04 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 22-02-17, 09:20 AM
  3. Rans S6 912 Donut washers (engine mounts)
    By Parafly in forum Aircraft Parts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21-08-16, 14:51 PM
  4. back in the saddle
    By GregH in forum Microlight Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-07-11, 11:04 AM
  5. Hooray! Back in the saddle.
    By Jon S in forum Microlight Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-04-11, 21:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •