Thanks

flying suits on test

QUOTE FROM EARLIER POSTING 06/FEB/2010
    FLYING SUITS ON TEST !
    i'm the one who usually does the product testing,on 11" November i ordered 3 flying suits to test, each suit i asked for something slightly different from the stock item,just to see how good the manufacturer actually is.
    (5 digital thermometers with remote probes purchased too)
    the trespass come in a 2weeks with a zip at the back of the kneck,

the blueskyblue d.b.x.extra padding in the knees came in 3 weeks as promised,

ozee extra padding on knees and an extra pocket....3 weeks later it came with the wrong pockets(that were not even square,photos next to a ruler to prove) ...a month later 2ND suit came with a fault in the material smack in the middle of the back,3rd suit came this week pockets in right place but does not seem any extra padding in the knees.......
    (will cut open all suits after testing) and show you the bits you don't usually see.

each suit order was accompanied by an e-mail specifying the alterations from standard....so no confusion should arise,all 3 phoned to chat about the alterations, (as i have dodgy knees i need a suit with extra warmth around the knees,so each order was a genuine request)

now we have all 3 special ordered suits plus 3 second hand (well washed and used)
    and 3 new cheeper stock item suits

.......none of the manufacturers/importers knew who i was or that i was writing this article,so the service i got is the service everyone gets..........

we just have 1 of the special order suits to test and then i will publish the results
    the test is on the quality/practicality/warmth/drafts/ and i had a 70 year old bloke trying them all on for ease of getting on/off .the test is on the suits and not on the performances we had getting them
    obviously we were to publish the results before the cold and Christmas prezzie season,but we held off to give ozee a "fair crack of the whip"
    you would not believe the results !
    END QUOTE......
    to start with,over the past few weeks I've done quite a bit of time in each suit.

OZEE MILENIUM
    the most expensive model they do.
    I've had a few of these suits before that i have purchased second hand and to be frank well used,
    this suit was of course up to ozee's usual impeccable quality,not a stitch out of place,every where i looked on the suit it was just perfect,if you walked down a catwalk in it you wouldn't feel out of place.
    very supple and easy to wear/sit/rig the plane/pre flight check.
    was comfortable in flight and unrestricted when flaring to land a flexwing.
    big front pocket is very handy and the triple thickness of material keeps the cold out,and a full flap on the phone/glasses pocket.
    zips down either side so is good when sat in a warm club house
    you can put it on and off without taking your boots off.
    they have slightly altered the design over the years to perfect a fantastic product.
    the alteration of the extra pocket is up to their usual high standard.
    there was a couple of problems with the 1st and 2ND suit,but to be honest the way they dealt with the problem was very quick,they were always kind and polite on the phone,and bent over backwards to put things right. you never know how good or bad a company is 'till you have a problem......ozee were just great with the after-sales service and should score extra brownie points for this
    marks & Spencer's quality is always a bit more expensive but you do get the marks & Spencer back-up and after-sales service too.

i ordered this suit with twin clear leg pockets for A.F.I. training,as i can have radio codes in one pocket and notes in the other,it's a suit i can wear all day every day and know that after 20 washes and 10 year use it will still look as good as it does today,well almost.

BLUESKYBLUE D.B.X.
    the most expensive suit they do,
    unlike the millennium this is a single middle zipper
    20% more padding than the millennium.
    i found the thicker outer fabric more favourable if your being dragged threw a bush backwards, and for kneeling down to rig/de-rig.
    come standard with extra thick padding on the knees for the kneeling down process.
    big clear plastic pockets on each leg for maps and notes.....idea for giro-copter pilots(they have a wiggly stick in the middle so can't wear a map board)
    zips under the arm pits to ventilate on hot days.
    pockets everywhere all with zips on.
    waste to ankle zips on both legs
    radio/phone/glasses pocket.
    this is of course a propper propper warm suit for the real cold winter days,and with storm flaps over all the zips it makes an ideal winter's suit, because it is thicker material and a thicker padding it is of course a bit more chuckie and for climbing about it was a bit more restrictive than the ozee.
    it's marketed as a thick and warm and strong suit,and it fits the bill.
    made in Pakistan and imported,i spoke to the importer who is very down to earth and very truthful and honest about his product,and as he says,if he runs out of a size or colour Pakistan is only a couple of days postage away.
    as flexwings are getting faster and pilots fly in more extremes of weather BSB have geared up for the newly emerging market of "cold flying"
    you can't really compare this to the millennium as it is a different style and designed for the sole purpose of keeping you warm in flight
    i wouldn't normally have gone out and purchased one of these,but now i have had the use of one for a month over winter i have only got one thing to say "your not getting it back,because I'm keeping it,i just love it to bits"
    ideal for those long distance touring fly-outs where your in the saddle all day !

we also tried out the trespass suit but to be honest they had almost identical labels in them and side by side they were almost identical,i also have a NIKE jacket with the identical labels in it.
    the trespass was almost double the price of the blueskyblue and it did the same job ! sometimes you think you are just paying for the name.
    BSB don't have a middle man to pay so do keep the price affordable

beaten by time will finish the article off over the next few nights

but a special thanks to Richard at www.microlightstore.co.uk for footing the bill out of his own pocket for the 70litres of fuel we used on one day alone
    Last edited by andy dixon; 23-12-10 at 11:04 AM.
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    Andy
    I purchased a DBX suit 14 month ago and only wear it in the winter month's. I find it a little bit restrictive especially around the neck when worn with a neckroll. It is an excellent cold weather suit and it enables me to go flying on the coldest of winter days without bits dropping off me.

Thanks
    You might want to try a classic "Buff" neckwarmer. Those are really thin, but really warm. I always wear mine wrapped over my ears and covering my nose and mouth (shown in my avatar) when I fly in winter. I don't really tend to get that cold tho, any old flying suit is normally fine for me. It's just my hands that get really cold, even with like 3 pairs of gloves on :s
    Last edited by meggark; 22-02-10 at 21:04 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    I have to agree with Mark on this one, i've always got my buff around my neck! Its great keeping those cold gel seals of your face in the winter!!

Thanks
    yes i found i had to leave the zip down about 3inches to get a neck roll on

.......real sad he is closing down this part of his empire because for the quik/gt450/quikR boys who fly fast this was the perfect suit.
    i have ordered a couple of new suits that i will just put in the wardrobe for later in life......coz the older i get the more i will feel the cold
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Thanks
    I've bought this http://www.airstoreone.co.uk/proddetail.asp?prod=ozee%5Fxtreme Ozee X-Treem Air Thermal Suit. It is perfect in weather conditions from air temperature +3C to -19C (it was tested in flight). I didn't check it in summer time jet (because we do not have even the spring in Lithuania up to date , but I think it will be same comfortable. It ventilates some how and I can feel air circulating around my body, but at the same time it does not make me feeling cold!!!! It is very light (I thought they shipped me just a half of the suit when I got the parcel - the package was so light . I do not feel it on my body like I would be flying naked - absolutely no movement restrictions. My club mates have tried it and another three suits arrived to Lithuania recently

Thanks
    .QUOTE......real sad he is closing down this part of his empire because for the quik/gt450/quikR boys who fly fast this was the perfect suit.
    i have ordered a couple of new suits that i will just put in the wardrobe for later in life......coz the older i get the more i will feel the cold[/QUOTE]

Just a quick update....10 years on,
    I’m still wearing the original DBX suit from blueskyblue and after well over 1,000 hours it’s almost as good as the day I got it,a couple of the "pull-tabs" have come off the zips, but quickly mended with a ring off an old key ring. A little bit of stitching at the top of a leg zip has started to pull out. The clear plastic pockets are still going strong.

The extra 2 suits I got as spares I’ve never used,one became my passenger suit and the other I sold to a friend.
    The Ozee suit still looks like new,because I’ve only used it a few times on very hot flying days
    Trespass sent me a very snotty letter saying if I didn’t like it they would give me a full refund(which we did)

All in all;
    blueskyblue are still going and selling suits at the same price they were back in 2010, 169 for 10 years use and over 1,000 hours..... well worth the money (and did I say,I’ve slept in it on many a fly-out)

Ozee are still selling suits, they still can be seen at most big events on our calendar.

10 years ago my first post at the top of this page I said;

i have had the use of a blueskyblue suit for one month over winter i have only got one thing to say "your not getting it back,because I'm keeping it,i just love it to bits"

And just for good measure www.microlightstore.co.uk who paid for the original suit testing are still going strong, and give members of this forum a 10% discount on this link http://www.love2fly.co.uk/blue-blue-...2cd1f357ae0ae5

Hope you all enjoyed reading the update. When time allows I’ll go back and update the other testing articles we all did
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by andy dixon; 12-11-19 at 22:18 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andy dixon For This Useful Post:

Peter Twissell (13-11-19), PilotPete (13-11-19), unwind-protect (14-11-19)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Some 20 years ago, I bought a used 'army surplus' tank suit for a few pounds. It was a double layered affair, with the fleece-like inner completely removable, several pockets in the outer (none with clear plastic) and a high neck on both layers with a zip all the way to the edge, which comes over the nose if done up fully.
    I used that tank suit as winter workshop overalls, general day-wear at winter motorcycle rallies and for flying a paramotor in cold weather. After about 10 years and much serious abuse, I had damaged the outer layer beyond practical repair. I replaced it with a newer, lighter version for about 60. The new version is just as good, but has a quilted inner. I've kept the inner from the old one, which I now use occasionally as very cold weather long-johns. (If you hadn't guessed already, I'm a bit of a tightwad!)
    I am not claiming that the tank suit is a direct replacement for a purpose designed flying suit, but I have found it to be a very useful item at substantially lower cost.
    G-BZNP Still not dead, but resting following engine failure.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Twissell For This Useful Post:

unwind-protect (14-11-19)