Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

New arrival (ish?)

New arrival (ish?)
    Hi all, im $ean...

I passed GFT in a fixed wing Icarus C42 back in Oct (18th actualy) and only after 28:40hrs
    since then I've mannaged only 1hr air time due to rental costs, weather and work commitments. However if anyone knows of someone who's looking for a petrol passenger I'm ya-man, desporate for new airfield experience and R/T work. passed the R/T exam too...

Currently I rent out of Swansea but I've moved to live in Chirch Village (Pontypridd) from Barry. So travelling for a half hour to share fuel is fine, if I can find you that is? My sence of direction with roads is not great and I've already flown through Pembrey (OUT OF HOURS LUCKILY )

Also can anyone tell me what annual costs are incured buy owning a Microlight?

Say a second hand Rans or X-air? If this were a car I'd say...
    TAX, M.O.T., INS, 4X TYRES, SERVICE (OIL AND FILLTERS), BREAKS (ALL ROUND) IF YOUR A HEAVY DRIVER? and fuel at KRIKEY pence per litre/hr.

My main EEEEEKK is the price of a Rotax engine? If I buy a Rans for cheep or an Escapade the 20k ish would NOT include a propulsion system????? kinda pointless realy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and second hand ones could be a nightmare for this novisual 24yr old, as i am aware of mods...

Well if you've read all that I am sorry... I've lots on my mind?

Hello all anyway and there IS some great stuff on here.

$ean
    Last edited by VinceG; 02-03-10 at 00:15 AM. Reason: Removed all the bold typeface. there's no need to shout

GA AVIATOR
    Sean,
    I have a Rans S6 at Swansea that needs to come up to Edinburgh...... I had a guy who was going to fly it up from Swansea, but has decided that he wanted to do it with a co pilot.

Might be an opportunity there for you to get 4 hrs (ish) of hands on flying (Rans S6 912)

Did you learn with Swansea Sport Flying ?

Thanks
    Yes I did pass through SSF.

Ash & Rod let me camp down there for a month and after great weater and 28hrs it was a dream realised!

As for that trip to Ed, how is the getting back home going to work and is a sat/sun ok for you?

I feel I should say at this point that I dont have loads of experiance but if you show me any differences, the weather is good and the fuel is enough id be happy too help.

Thanks
    P.S. I think Its the one I saw on the 28th?

GA AVIATOR
    The getting back would be your only cost to cover.......no contribution to the Rans flight is required.

Thanks
    Sounds great could catch the train? maybe a taxi or two?

Which end would you be at? and heres my no for arrangments...

Thanks
    And sorry for shouting Vince I shal avoid the bold typing

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhiseanypie View Post
    New arrival (ish?)Much clipped
    Hi all, im $ean...
    Also can anyone tell me what annual costs are incured buy owning a Microlight?
    Say a second hand Rans or X-air? If this were a car I'd say...
    TAX, M.O.T., INS, 4X TYRES, SERVICE (OIL AND FILLTERS), BREAKS (ALL ROUND) IF YOUR A HEAVY DRIVER? and fuel at KRIKEY pence per litre/hr.
    second hand ones could be a nightmare for this novisual 24yr old, as i am aware of mods...
    $ean
    Chosing second hand could either be a nightmare or with care an opportunity, here is an exerpt of a reply that I wrote on choice a while back

"That depends on the kind of flying that you intend to do
    If you are set on distance flying then you will need an aircraft with a fair cruise speed and low fuel consumption. That usualy means modern four stroke powered kit.
    e.g. Eurostar, CTSW, C42, 912 or Jab powered Skyranger/ Rans S6, Thruster Sprint and in my opinion the only one of the older types that makes it into this catogory the Shadow, which although the most common ones have only 50hp are an outstanding aircraft with great performace for that power and superb handing.
    Then if your fancy is for more traditional micolighting (a lot of local flying with the occassional foray of 2 hours plus and now and then an adventure in which there is no real limit) the choice is much bigger then your choice of aircraft is very wide indeed
    e.g. Ax3, AX2000, 503 powered Rans S6, 447 powered Shadow are all good aircraft, then you have the X Air which is an excellant beginers aircraft as it is so forgiving and of course my personal favorite the tailwheel Thrusters, TST and T300 (I rate as the most fun aircraft ever built)
    You could of chose chose to go single seat to fly such great machines as the Minimax, Sluka, Rans S5 and S4
    Then you may be interested in sub 115 flying, this is rapidly developing with the Kolb Firefox, Reality Kid and the Grass Strip Aviation Eindekker replica
    Just a few thought after all the world is your oyster"

Having decided that you want to view a particular aircraft here is a link to the advice that I wrote for our Saxon Microlights members on the best way to check an aircraft out

http://www.saxonmicro.co.uk/

From the Site Index go down to the "technical " section

The greatest cost of owning your own aircraft is where and how you keep it. You can get some idea of of the alternatives in this exerpt from another reply from a while back

"From your alternative ways of keeping your aircraft you have omited the choice of a hangar/trailer. This is a fairly common way of keepng a microlight and is suited to either wing fold or aircraft that are easily rigged
    Cost of hangarage will depend normaly on two things, the first is whereabouts in the country your are located and the second is the level of facilities that you expect from your base airfield. to asertain that you will have to ask localy and at both the larger airfields, smaller airfields and at such farm strips as you have near you. You will find that the spread of charges is quite large, in my area (not one of the cheapest) it can very between 250 to 60 per month.

Similarly the cost of tie downs will vary, around here from 100 to 50 per month. Most farm strips charge the same for a hangar/ trailer as for a tied down aircraft. Do not forget that in most places this charge covers full use of the airfield, but not all, so it is worth asking.

Insurance costs are as you would expect variable on firstly the kind of policy you take up, third party only to full hull cover on the air and on the ground. The other thing that makes a significant difference is the number of hours that the insured pilot has amassed.

As to what types are best suited to the varying ways they can kept as you have mention firstly 2 seat types but then bring in the Rans S4 and S5 I will included some single seaters

Aircaft that have a well proven record of being able to withstand being tied down outside with covers and a little preventive maintainace. This is mostly to protect nuts and bolts the rest of the airframe being covered in high quality powder coating. These aircraft are are all the Thruster range and the AX3 and AX2000

Types commonly stored in hangar/ trailers are the Rans S6, if fitted with wing fold,Shadow, Challenger, Minimax and Easy Raider. Some of the MW range are also built to have a quick rig.

Most others are really best kept in hangars, but if you are looking at farm strips it is worth enquiring as the whether you would be permited to build your own T hangar to save on costs."

From that you will see that it really is worth looking around, not only at aircraft but at any local farm strips. You will probably find Peter a great help with that, he has a vast knowledge of places and people.

Other cost are insurance and that will depend on the type of cover that you go for, just as with a car. Maintainace generaly you can do yourself and the amount depends on how much you fly. Annual permit renewals are shown here

http://www.bmaa.org/upload/misc/2008...009%20fees.pdf

I hope that give you some ideas, good luck
    Ginge

Thanks
    Thank you for that Ginge very helpful

I shall save the links and use them for ref...

So? Permit/Insurance/trailered (Maybe at home?)/landings/maintenance and of course the A/C its self.

Have I missed anything?
    $

GA AVIATOR
    Quote Originally Posted by skyhiseanypie View Post
    P.S. I think Its the one I saw on the 28th?
    it should have been in the Hangar !!!!!