Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Aircraft (well 3 axis) tend to reach a price level of stability and can then increase to an extent with inflation. A chap I know actually won over a bank manager by showing him (/her) an advert for the same type from a few years ago as it showed that the value had risen.

Of course all things can vary with hours (esp school size), equipment and age of major consumables such as skins on rans/skr.

So, unless bought new, depreciation is almost nil but loss of interest could be factored in.

Whatever costs you choose to build in one can scare oneself if so minded but then the real cost of a car can be worse.

Thanks
    It depends where you live to some extent. Hangerage in the South is more expensive:

My costs are approx:

Depreciation; 500pa ish
    Insurance (full cover): 800
    Hangarage: 1440
    Maintenance/permits: 500
    Fuel: 18 ph.

I've done about 50hrs this year (sob). %^&* me, that's 80 an hour.

should I give it up?
    Andy
    Wobbling all the way to the clouds.

Thanks
    You should give up counting the cost.

Don't let the spreadsheet get in the way of a great hobby. If you buy on the basis that you can *just* afford/justify the running costs; I'd suggest buying a cheaper machine and enjoying your time flying it far more without concern about the cost, or perhaps consider a share?

Remember a big maintenance bill does happen from time to time,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moss View Post
    You should give up counting the cost.,
    That's what I meant

Actually for me the hangarage is a bit of a killer but the setup I have is so convenient I'm reluctant to move (5mins drive. Fully rigged wheel in and out. Ideal dry pitch dark).

People generally complain about the fixed costs but fuel is still the dominant factor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by WobbleWing; 28-11-12 at 20:04 PM.
    Andy

Thanks
    The hangerage is the biggest ball ache for me, the aircraft itself was cheap and maintenance is reasonable. I just throw one blindly at it as required and when ever I can afford to, I couldn't justify it otherwise. It's been suggested by a number of friends and family that I should sell up, but not a chance!

Sent from my HTC One X

Thanks
    For what it's worth, I tried to do a detailed costing when trying to decide what sort of aircraft to buy. For a Quantum 912 I ended up with the following:

Hourly costs:
    1.80/hr : 100 hr service
    1.20/hr : +200 hr service
    0.83/hr : +600 hr service
    1.60/hr : 300 hr wing strip (500?)
    4.50/hr : sail replacement (3000/ 2000hr exposure; 1/3 flying time, 2/3 standing ?)
    0.80/hr : hose replacement : 5yr @ 100hrs/year

= Approx 11 + 15 fuel per hour.

Fixed Costs:
    1000 : hangarage
    250 : Third Party + Passenger insurance
    500 : Hull insurance
    250 : Annual inspection
    150 : Permit issue
    200 : BMAA + club membership

= 2350 pa

Service prices came from Conair/ Skydrive, snarfed from the web or guessed at. Not included is depreciation (could be anything!), various small lifed components, interest lost, or the value of having your own plane to go flying (hopefully more than the rest added up!). FWIW, a 582 worked out at 15/hr + more for fuel and oil; as they say, YMMV!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WobbleWing View Post
    That's what I meant

Actually for me the hangarage is a bit of a killer but the setup I have is so convenient I'm reluctant to move (5mins drive. Fully rigged wheel in and out. Ideal dry pitch dark).

People generally complain about the fixed costs but fuel is still the dominant factor.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Certainly not, just fly more to bring down your hourly cost, your set costs cant change so based on 50 hours that will be slightly more than you have quoted more like 82.80 per hour so lets look at twice the fun added to your fixed costs, not including many you have missed out like landing fees driving to the airfield, buying a new air chart etc etc.

Set costs for you set cost 3240 Plus 100 hours of fun fuel only 18x100=1800 add set cost 3240 = 5040 divide that by 100 gives you an hourly cost of 50.40 per hour so you will save twice as much if you fly 100 hours a year and that is what some do on average

Thanks
    Yes I know that.... please don't make me feel worse (anyway, AA maps are cheaper than CAA charts.. joking)... it's not for the want of trying Previous years I have done 100hrs. Life has been getting in the way!

I like the psychological argument of saving money the more I fly that sounds a bit like women's shopping logic in the January sales... but in this case it is perfectly valid, of course!
    Last edited by WobbleWing; 28-11-12 at 21:47 PM.
    Andy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by meggark View Post
    The hangerage is the biggest ball ache for me, the aircraft itself was cheap and maintenance is reasonable. I just throw one blindly at it as required and when ever I can afford to, I couldn't justify it otherwise. It's been suggested by a number of friends and family that I should sell up, but not a chance!

Sent from my HTC One X
    Yes it's the same for me Mark. Actually it's not the capital costs of the aircraft which is the dominating factor. In fact this could be very little when you consider that the aircraft doesn't depreciate too much (and current interest rates are hopeless is looking at a straight cash investment). It is the hangarage cost (for me anyway). I have thought of keeping it in the garage but I like the convenience of fully rigged and my car will never be able to tow. So all in all I accept the cost and just get on with it.

fortunately I do not get any pressure from family to give up... in fact my missus tells me I shouldn't give up 'cos if I didn't fly I'd be even more fecking grumpy This is... as the advert says... 'priceless'.. therefore it's a good deal, so screw it
    Last edited by WobbleWing; 28-11-12 at 21:52 PM.
    Andy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkil View Post
    ..if you factor the initial aircraft cost (about 40K) and put it to use in business it should amass you 10K per year if you put it to use right....
    Crikey, you're good. 10k profit on a years investment of 40k, also to include having to pay income tax... I'll have what you're having - what's your secret?
    Andy