Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    GA AVIATOR

Amf chevron 2-32c project

ADVERTISED ON eBay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    WORDING IS TAKEN FROM ADVERT

Chevron G-MZDP 2 seater microlight for sale. Previously used for training until a dispute with the manufacturer ended up with aircraft being completely dismantled. As I understand there was an issue with the aircrafts weight, and the ensuing court case required the aircraft to be taken apart and all the parts individually weighed!! The aircraft owner lost the case and the training operation ceased.

I purchased the aircraft in 2002 with the intent of reassembling and flying, but I have become involved with other projects & I now do not have the time. I am led to believe every part is there to rebuild the aircraft including some extra spares such as wheels and engine parts. The aircraft is easily derigged and fits neatly in its own purpose built, road worthy trailer. The pictures were taken last weekend when the aircraft was temporarily assembled.

There are some small dents in the foam filled leading edge, from peoples fingers which is not uncommon on Chevrons and some of the fabric/plastic type covering looks slack in places. There is no structural damage.

Nearly every part that can be unbolted from the aircraft has been removed, but has all been bagged and labelled up. Obviously everything will require a good look at, as some parts have just been loosely bolted on. There is also a set of covers with the aircraft. Instruments and propeller with spares blades are present. Konig 4 cylinder radial 2-stroke engine turns over and is complete but I have not run it.

Full history including log books is present, and the aircraft is still on the CAA register.

A great opportunity to acquire a cheap 2 seater microlight, which, when new, was very expensive. Viewing is welcome, call 07813713908 to arrange. No reserve. Cash on collection.

CHEAP PROJECT FOR SOMEONE (CURRENTLY 1850.00 )

Thanks
    That is the aeroplane that I started training on, that is until the dispute between the owner and AMF. I liked it a lot, a very nice little aircraft and I know the present owner, a very genuine guy.

Ginge

Thanks
    Now it's been sold, I can to ask the question, as a member Ginge, Did you ever see the letter from the CAA grounding it?
    I was member 1 and knew Tony from his Southend days and Debbie when she was at Andrewsfield. I was shown, by Debbie, a letter from the CAA grounding the aircraft, NOT for being overweight, BUT it had a second 30ltr fuel tank fitted. The tank was not connected, but it's presence meant it had fuel capacity of 60 lts. Microlight definition is a max capacity of 50ltrs. there was a lot of chat on ways around this including opening up the fusalage and removing it. Then suddenly all mention of the tank stopped and overweight was the issue. Strange? It was time to leave that club. Rats, sinking ship, I know but a lot of people were being ripped off, and Southend was cheaper.

Andy G

GA AVIATOR
    This Chevvron has been acquired by a friend of a forum member so it might be prudent to disclose as much info as possible to keep the new owner on the right track.

Thanks
    There were several issues with that aircraft. I personally was not a group member. It was too much of a rip off. But as the only other aircraft on the field, and knowing the management so the speak, Debbie kept me in the loop.
    The problem that kicked the thing off was the undercarriage. they broke 3, I think, and started to complain to AMF. Who denied there was a problem. At least one other club/training organisation was having the same problems. Another owner proposed a modified u/c unit but this was stopped by AMF due to section S. The new design would have meant admiting liability. There was a thought that the u/c did not meet Section S's 9G drop test. Could the drop test have been done with a heavy reinforced u/c and the aircraft weighted for Section S with a LIGHTER u/c?? This thought may have passed through some minds in the Tech office, but AMF was a little too close to the council for them to get involved( my view ).
    That's when the CAA got involved. They check the aircraft and found the tank. It was NOT connected up, but it's presence stii gives the 60 lt capacity. Hence the letter. At some stage the arguement with AMF went public through Flightline's letters pages, and the rest is history as they say. There was a folder with all the letters in, which included the modified u/c design and other parties with u/c problems. If it's not with the aircraft, it's been Ollie Northed.

Hope this will help, but be warned, it was a BIG syndicate and there may still be outstanding claims on the aircraft.

Andy G

Thanks
    The layout as I recall was that the tanks had a crossfeed and that both tanks where operational. The option that I heard discussed was that the crossfeed be removed rendering it effectivly a 30ltr capacity. The operator said that this should be the responsablity of the factory as the tank was a factory fitting from new, in the way it was constructed to could hardly be otherwise. The operator then had the aircraft weighed and it was found to be too heavy, the builder saying that this was due to absorbsion as the aircraft was tied down outside under covers and the operator saying that it had been built that way and that had been the cause of a broken undercarriage that it had suffered. The builder asserted that the undercarriage problem had been caused by training from rough runways. In the finish the school closed, as the airfield only had permission to operate Chevvron aircraft because of the proven quietness the airfield closed as well.
    The aircraft had its permit withdrawn and was stored in its trailer (a good glider style trailer) in the garden of one of the operators untill sold to the guy who recently sold it. Owing to his many other projects he was never able to get on with the rebuild and offered it for sale.
    At least that is the story to best of my recallection and according to what I have heard from folks that I trust.
    So in the rebuild my first concern would be the weight, just weighing the bits so see where it stands when clean and dry.
    A look at the TADS http://www.bmaa.org/files/bm24_9_chevron_232.pdf shows no mandatory mods after 1993 and I believe the aircraft was withdrawn from service in 1995 so they should all have been complied with.
    Now with the availability of the option to trade fuel for weight the extra tank capacity should not be a problem.
    So at worst an operation to shed a bit of weight and there should be nothing much keeping this aircraft on the ground as far as I know.
    Wouldn't ownership issues should be visible on GINFO in the previous history bit?
    Ginge

Thanks
    If the aircraft went out of this country would there still be a wieght issue? assuming parts have dried out since being stripped down, would not have thought stripping the second tank out would be difficult, good to know some senior members have flown this chevron, the new owner will like that.

Thanks
    If she's still flying on a UK permit the weights will need to conform to the TADS I believe. The tank is no longer a problem a simple declaration of exchanging fuel for weight and a placard at it's sorted.
    I enjoyed flying her, as long as you have a decent runway with good approaches the Chevvron is nice little aircraft. I've even got some pictures tucked away somewhere of her flying at Hanningfield

Ginge

GA AVIATOR
    There was once a Chevvron Seaplane in the UK Saw it in Kent many moons ago !!

Thanks
    I'll bet that was fitted with a bit more grunt than the standard Konig, wonderful little engine that it was the emphasis was on the little, normal Chevvron climb rate was at 375 fpm at best climb speed.

Ginge