Thread: Fuel and Oil

Thanks

Fuel and Oil

Well I have done some work on G-MVCF today - I removed the exhaust, drained the coolant, replaced the spark plugs and a few other little things. My dad was helping me with draining the coolant and we noticed two things, number 1 - There are stickers on the aircraft saying 4-star petrol - is this correct? And if so what should we use (lead subsitute or avgas?) or have they been converted - Its a Rotax 462 replaced recently (between 2000 and 2008, will check the log book later) The second - there is an 'oil' tank at the top of the engine with two pipes one going into the top the second out the bottom, is this for 2 stroke oil? Or extra lubrication, because again the sticker says premix! I will attach pictures of the sticker and the tank of oil below.

Thanks Max
    Attached Images Attached Images
    G-CBKF - Easy Raider

Thanks
    Hi Max

Nice to see someone else doing the work themselves. I do it all myself where possible. You are correct the reservoir in your pictures is for 2 stroke oil. It lubricated the rotary valve shaft. I use shell VSX 2 in there. Another thing when refilling the coolant I think rotax recommends that you use a 50% mixture. I had to weaken the mixture to improve cooling in mine.fficeffice" />>>
    > >
    Regards>>
    Sacha>>

Thanks
    I have had a look at the log books and it states that 'This aircraft is certified for use with unleaded fuel...'

Regarding the oil, its just a tank and tube are you sure this isn't extra lubrication or not? Maybe you should use pre-mix fuel and have extra oil in the tank for crank lubrication?

If anyone know's for certain please help! I will ring Conair either tomorrow or Monday and see what they say.

When I was given the aircraft Jeremy gave me 3 bottles of 2 stroke oil it is the rotax recommended stuff!

Thanks Max
    G-CBKF - Easy Raider

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    its 50 to 1 mix so 400 millilitres of 2 stoke oil in a 20 litre Gerry can, unleaded is fine as that’s all you can buy, it would have been 4 star petrol may years ago, but they don’t do it at the pumps now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    As has been said, it uses 2 stroke mix in the fuel, and the extra little oil tank is to lube the rotary valve.
    2 stroke engines have never needed leaded fuel as they have no valve seats and low compression. In the '90s, when unleaded fuel came in in the UK many people thought that they should only use leaded fuel, but Rotax said that unleaded was OK.

Thanks
    All the chaps are right Max, that tank holds 2 stroke oil to lube the rotary valve. My one (white plastic bottle) is similar to yours although it has two pipes at the bottom, one going to the left side of the engine and one to the right. I use VSX as well in my 462 both in the fuel mix and in the plastic bottle for the rotary valve lube.
    Greg H
    Flying club: Söderslätts Flyggklub, Trelleborg, Sweden http://www.estt.se
    Anti-gravitational machine: Pegasus Quantum 15