Thread: Oil

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Oil

Is anyone using Comma 2-stroke oil in the petrol mix for Rotax engines? (502) I was buying some spares for my car at the local motor factor and noticed that a fully synthetic oil was 0nly 7.80/ltr and the part synth was a little bit less. I am not trying to cheapskate but as the shop is round the corner it would save having to buy in bulk, but on the other hand I don't want to compromise the engine

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If I had a 2 stroke, then I would be happy to use it. It will be made by one of the bigger oil companies and re-branded at a lower price.

Pembury Kent airstrip Northium East Sussex
    Thanks
    Get your oil whilst in France from supermarket or Bricomarche look for 2temps, lot cheaper than the UK

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Simple answer, does it meet the required standard?
    Not all two-stroke oils do.

Check that it meets or exceeds the standard cited in the Rotax manual.
    For the 582 engine, for example, the standard is API-TC.

Here in France we have a good choice as the oil which is sold in the supermarkets for scooters and made by Castrol or Elf, meets this standard.
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Thanks
    Resurrecting thread...
    Our drum of our favourite semi-synthetic 2-stroke oil is running out and we tried to order another one from the supplier, they've been taken over in the interim and would like to sell us a Silkolene product (Super 2?). It's probably good, but we thought we'd take the opportunity to find out what else is on the market these days.

I see Transair sell an Aeroshell product which has has an apparently excellent write-up on Shell's own web site mentioning some testing done by Skydrive, no less. On the other hand, a squint at Skydrive's web site show that they now do their own brand 2-stroke oil.

Any experts on here willing to give advice, or non-experts give an opinion?

Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    the guy who services my 503 says he works on another where the owner has always used chain saw 2 stroke oil and he inside of the engine is like new including the tolerances etc .

not sure i would dare but its a thought.
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kawasakiinit View Post
    the guy who services my 503 says he works on another where the owner has always used chain saw 2 stroke oil and he inside of the engine is like new including the tolerances etc .

not sure i would dare but its a thought.
    How would the oil know what engine it is in? Chainsaw, lawnmower, scooter, you would not want any of them to conk out from using crap oil.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I used the Aeroshell one in my X'Air because I thought it was newly developed, better etc having used an probably an older Shell version previously. I changed to the Skydrive one not for any performance reason but because I could see the red tint in the fuel and consequently my tank (looking over my shoulder). The Aeroshell one is green but 400ml in 20l is soon invisible.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
    How would the oil know what engine it is in? Chainsaw, lawnmower, scooter, you would not want any of them to conk out from using crap oil.
    it must be different spec or something ?? i know when i had outboards years ago there was a specific oil for my johnson 135hp v4 outboard but different for smaller engines ,it must be because the smaller stuff is on full throttle most of the time similar to chainsaws etc i guess .
    The more people I meet the more I love my cat..