Thanks

4/5 seat gyrocopter

Hi,

Do you ever think there will be 4 or 5 seat gyrocopters? The reason i ask is that i have a wife and 3 young children and would love it if it was possible for us all to go away on holiday in a 5seat gyrocopter.

Would there be licensing issues do you think as microlights are only 4 seat max arent they?

Matt

Thanks
    Just found a Hawk 4t which is a 4 seater but its america only. Any in the UK? Also , why the big difference in licensing in america and here. Even france allows almost anything when it comes to aviation.

Matt

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi there Im not sure about gyro-copter regs (different to microlights) but I think in the UK they are Maximum 2 seaters same as microlights and the MTOW is limited to 500kgs.

Something my Dad always said to me was he would never take the whole family flying in the same (light) aircraft because if something did happen you would all be wiped out, not something to pleasant but it's worth remembering.

You could however get a 2 seat gyro, and then your wife / girlfriend drive a car with your other 2 children and you could 'swap around'.

The licensing here is different because we are awkward But in the next 5-10 years I think we will change over to LSA and the 600kg MTOW.

Max
    Max the Mod

G-MVCF - Flash 2a Alpha

Thanks
    Hi Max,

Cheers for the reply. To me the one of the big draws to aviation is the ability to go places together as a family. Is the 2seats max only applied to NPPL? If i had a PPL i could fly a 4 seater couldnt i?

Thanks
    I am sure there are valid reasons for not flying the entire family in the same aircraft....however there are many very powerful people who do fly with all their family onboard which leads the question of " is this a case of snobbery if you don't fly together or is it due diligence "

Quote Originally Posted by max View Post
    Hi there Im not sure about gyro-copter regs (different to microlights) but I think in the UK they are Maximum 2 seaters same as microlights and the MTOW is limited to 500kgs.

Something my Dad always said to me was he would never take the whole family flying in the same (light) aircraft because if something did happen you would all be wiped out, not something to pleasant but it's worth remembering.

You could however get a 2 seat gyro, and then your wife / girlfriend drive a car with your other 2 children and you could 'swap around'.

The licensing here is different because we are awkward But in the next 5-10 years I think we will change over to LSA and the 600kg MTOW.

Max

Thanks
    My kids are into aviation in a big way too, especially my young boys who are always mithering me to go to Barton airfield to watch the microlights lol

I think in a way if my time was up and it was flying i would prefer to have us all go at once than to leave my kids fatherless/motherless

Matt

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Gyro-copters have a MTOW of 500kg and limited to 2 seats. If you wish to fly with 5 people on board, you would need to buy a helicopter or a larger GA aircraft such as a Piper Archer or Cessna 182.

Max
    Max the Mod

G-MVCF - Flash 2a Alpha

Thanks
    After one gets a nppl(m) microlight rating your free to convert to nppl(sep). Which requires a minimum of 3 hours instruction plus another skills test(something like that). On a nppl(sep) I'm pretty sure you can actually fly four seater aircraft. If so (which I believe it is, been a while since I've researched this though) this would be the cheapest way to carry more passengers, four would be the maximum though. You can cross the channel with an nppl(sep) now too I believe. Or if you have plenty of money to spare, just go for the ppl (45 hours minimum course) then the only thing that will limit your payload is your wallet once again(bigger expensive aircraft often means different type ratings too so more training would be needed). A family holiday out in the twin prop is mainly reserved for the very rich I would imagine.

billybishop
    What you need is a Jetranger,
    plenty of good used examples around, for about five.
    http://www.exclusivelifestyle.co.uk/...anger-206.html
    Billy

Thanks
    Jetranger? I dont think the mrs would let me spend 500,000 (even if i had it lol)

A better solution maybe that i get my partner to learn how to fly aswell and then eventually get one each!