Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Photography

Thanks

Photography

Hey all, I started an evening photography course a few weeks ago in an attempt to use an SLR camera in place of my beloved point and shoot. All the other students are into fashion, portraits, animals etc and I just want to get up in the plane and get snapping from above - although this proved a bit awkward on my first SLR outting to Broadmeadow. Has anyone got any advice or tips for me?

Also, I have only recently started tweaking a few photos and my tutor isn't keen on "OTT" editing but just wondering what photo editing software people use, if any? I could install PhotoShop but I couldn't get the hang of it before so I've played with a free PhotoScape thingy since.

Hayl

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    This is what the wife tells me that she does for the best air shots:
    Try not to use the zoom too much as the vibration from the wind will ruin a shot,
    Fly slow to take pictures for the same reason,
    Use a fast shutter speed for the same reason.
    Air shots will more often than not need a "white balance" on the PC to get rid of the slight mist in an air to ground shot.
    She uses GIMP, a free photo editing software suite, that can be as simple as doing an "auto white balance" or as complicated as you might want. She has ditched Photoshop in favour of GIMP.

Thanks
    For quick and easy photo editing you can't beat this free program

http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/

Also, re the SLR, they're a bit big and unweildy for a flexwing. You might be better off with something small like a Lumix TZ8 or TZ10 which are 12 megapixels, have 12x optical zoom and HD movie recording and they are much smaller and easier to handle in the air.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by southcoastflyer View Post
    For quick and easy photo editing you can't beat this free program

http://photofiltre.en.softonic.com/

Also, re the SLR, they're a bit big and unweildy for a flexwing. You might be better off with something small like a Lumix TZ8 or TZ10 which are 12 megapixels, have 12x optical zoom and HD movie recording and they are much smaller and easier to handle in the air.
    You may be correct in that a smaller camera is easier to handle, but the quality of a picture comes from having a decent big lens, and you can't beat an SLR for that.
    You can have as many megapixels as you want, but they won't be worth much if they come through a small poor quality lens. A 12X zoom is also not much use in taking pictures of the ground as the slightest camera movement will ruin the picture when using the zoom. My wifes SLR has HD video too.

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I agree with Brian, take a look at my winning photo from the photo comp of Scarborough it was taken with a digital SLR with only 6mp, I use Photoshop but have been doing so for a long time, it's the dogs dangly bits, there's some good mags on the shelves who will teach you Photoshop so go for it.
    Last edited by VinceG; 03-10-10 at 18:15 PM.
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    See the blog I wrote some time ago to get your head around the basics...

http://www.microlightforum.com/blog.php?u=496

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    hi taff if you are doing a photograph course ask your tutor about RAW its a bit to in-depth to go in to here but its the best option for a SLR

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian L View Post
    You may be correct in that a smaller camera is easier to handle, but the quality of a picture comes from having a decent big lens, and you can't beat an SLR for that.
    You can have as many megapixels as you want, but they won't be worth much if they come through a small poor quality lens. A 12X zoom is also not much use in taking pictures of the ground as the slightest camera movement will ruin the picture when using the zoom. My wifes SLR has HD video too.
    Lumix cameras use Leica lenses which are definitely not poor quality. They also have steady shot technology which is very advanced nowadays. re Photoshop, that's all very well but it costs a packet and it's not easy to learn how to use it. Most people will never need the majority of stuff that Photoshop offers. It's a high-end product and if you are only using it adjust contrast and levels etc you can do that with plenty of other much cheaper photo manipulation software. I'm sure someone else will have the opposite opinion though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    the small camera will still take grate photos there is no doubt in that the lenses are just as good as SLR apart from the very top end market ,, and if you just want to point and shout they are the best idea
    Now if you want to be in complete control off all the setting then you need a SLR , you need this because the camera makers can not give you all the options in such a small camera , and most people don't want them ,,
    So to be honest if you have a SLR you should take the time to learn the photo editing now a days its easy compared with 15 years ago when you would have to spend hours in the darkroom .
    but good luck taff its is hole new hobby and can be very for-filling

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post

If using film, don't be afraid to run off an entire roll in one flight 'cos taking a second flight for a further attempt costs a lot more than the film and the processing.

Joan
    I wouldn't dream of using film now.

I took my digital SLR on holiday to Portugal with my wife Carol and the kids, whilst there we went on a dolphin safari. I took about 200 pictures of the dolphins swimming in the wild. To do that with film would be an absolute fortune. I ended up with about 6 "decent" pictures of the dolphins out of 200. The film would have cost as much as the camera, IMHO.

Let us know what you end up with... Oh and you could, if you so desired get a copy of photoshop from here by putting a search for photoshop in the search box and clicking applications you get these results
    Last edited by VinceG; 03-10-10 at 12:47 PM.
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog