Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jabiru UL

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jabiru UL

Hello All

I would love to hear what people think about this plane http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=...d=17736&imid=0
    I have always loved the look of this plane ever since I first saw it on 'A Plane Is Born' with Mark Evans on Discovery many year ago.
    I know it might be a bit on the short side, but would like to hear from people that may have had one or flown in one. I heard that they had engine trouble with over heating but I think this was sorting by adding enlarged cooling fins and air ducting.
    Also does the price look about right?
    Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
    Lee
    Got there at last.....

Thanks
    Didn't Mark Evans build a Europa? But I have always liked the look of the jabs because at half the money of a C42 with the same sort of performance you can't go wrong!

Max

Sent from my HTC Hero using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    He did Max but at the very start he looked at the Jabiru as well. Would love a Ct but far away from what I can afford.
    Got there at last.....

Thanks
    That one does look particularly tidy. I've been told that the Jabiru engine will manifest problems circa 200hrs, if it is going to be a bad one. Buyers market
    Last edited by Bill Scott; 25-11-10 at 00:30 AM. Reason: If only I could blame the wine

Thanks
    My sentiments are exactly the same as Riggles'. I stood next to a jabiru (but I think it was a 450?) and it was just such a beautiful little plane. Admittedly a little tight inside but most of the time I'm on my own. Also because it's direct drive it purred on tickover. I was 'sold' on the idea of one, but when I then had a ride in one the owner took me on a a circuit of about 3 miles and seemed to imply this is the way you have to fly the Jabirus. Other people have then said an awful lot of them have been damaged on landing, and it's put me off. But I'd love to be re-convinced because it's the sort of aircraft that would give you a real sense of pleasure every time you approached it. A Savannah is much more sensible but I'd have the feeling when I opened the hangar door that I was looking at a shed within a shed.
    Mike

Thanks
    X'air Hawk with 912 engine, ever thought about one of them??

Thanks
    For the price they are a very nice little plane to fly cruising at about 90 knots a good speed .the one's with the small tail can be a bit challenging in a strong cross wind ,when full with fuel they are a little tail heavy and can sometimes end up parked like a shadow the cabin is surprisingly wide and comfortable for a small plane , the flap control is in a very awkward position for operation ..the thing with Jab engines are you can get a good one or a bad one some have overheat problems some have oil pressure problems a friend of mine had a valve seat drop out on his which took a fare while to repair .. you take your chance

Mike
    Cheers Mike

In life those that know don't speak and those that speak don't know.

Keep your wheels pointing down
    For all your training needs Chattris/Boston airfield http://aaa-microlight.co.uk/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wfaec/join
    anything i post is my opinion you can either take it or leave it

Thanks
    Lee, All aircraft have their plus and minus points. The Jabiru probably has more of the former than the later in that all the owners I have known have enjoyed them.
    The only advice I can offer is to quote something a good friend once said.
    "Buy a plane you like the look of as like a woman it'll cost you more than you expect."

Quote Originally Posted by riggles2 View Post
    Hello All

I would love to hear what people think about this plane http://www.afors.com/index.php?page=...d=17736&imid=0
    I have always loved the look of this plane ever since I first saw it on 'A Plane Is Born' with Mark Evans on Discovery many year ago.
    I know it might be a bit on the short side, but would like to hear from people that may have had one or flown in one. I heard that they had engine trouble with over heating but I think this was sorting by adding enlarged cooling fins and air ducting.
    Also does the price look about right?
    Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
    Lee

Thanks
    Ive always loved the look of the Jab and would love to own one. I've been told that the later engines with larger cooling fins and Hydraulic lifters are very good. I've not flown one but would love to have a go. I wait to see what people who have flown / owned one think of them.

Thanks
    I've had my Jab 450 UL for a year and here are some things I've found:

The engine only holds 2.3 litres of oil (including oil cooler) so I change it together with a new oil filter every 25 hours. The valve clearances also need to be checked every 50 hours. More regular maintenance than a 912 but a lovely engine in a lovely little aircraft. I've done 165 trouble free hours (tempting fate here) in mine this year. I recently fitted a new GT prop and it'll cruise happily at 90-95kts @ 12 litres per hour solo.

Jab engines did suffer mechanical problems in the early days so its important to do your homework before buying one. The better engines were after serial number 22A 710 (Larger offset fin heads. Easy to check, count the fins and there should be 15) together with the later 40 mm Bing Carb. That's the spec of mine with added electric carb heats. There were many other modifications up to serial number 710 which you can find at: http://www.jabiru.flyer.co.uk/ under Engine/propeller.

These later engines also suffered burnt valve/piston problems but only when 'lean economy kit' jets were fitted. Check that the carb has the original standard jetting and you should get a reliable engine. Why would anyone want to mess about trying to get better economy when it only uses 12 lph at over 100 mph anyway?

Check that the full height rudder mod has been done as well because the larger rudder is the most important friend you'll have when landing. I've got to admit that landing my Jab even with the full rudder fitted was the most challenging bit when I first flew it. No problems at all now but I do respect the crosswind limitations after my early one-and-only departure off a runway in an 18 kt full 90 degree crosswind. No damage done whatsoever but a lesson learned there. Stick to the x wind limit of 12kts.

I'd also recommend looking for a 450 UL rather than a 430. Empty weight of my 450 UL is 265 kg, which gives 2 x 86kg occupants (max individual seat loading is 86kg, so unsuitable for lardies) and approx 20 litres of fuel to remain within the legal weight. One small niggle with mine is having the fuel tank behind the seat. (The later Calypso has wing tanks on the C of G.) Although there looks to be a lot of storage space in the back, to keep the W/B within limits when I go away for a weekend with all my gear, it has to be stored on the passenger seat. Small wheels also mean less flying from waterlogged fields in winter but no problem if you use hard runways. Unusual flap, throttle and brake positions take some getting used to at first but become second nature after a while.

You'll find the Jab engine is happiest revving at between 2700-2800 and that's the way I always fly mine now. I did try flying it at 65kts / 2200rpm in the company of GT450's and Quicks but it flies too nose high and it burnt more engine oil at low engine revs than at 2700+. Jab engines don't like being under high load/low revs all the time. They need to rev freely and the higher cruise speed means that there's always an adequate flow of air to cool the engine.

I'm glad I didn't take too much notice of all the negative comments I'd heard about Jabs either. All in all, a brilliant little aircraft for quickly getting from A to B, economical, comfortable, warm, nice looking and very easy to clean the sheep sh*t off!

IMHO, unbeatable value compared to any other aircraft with similar performance.
    Last edited by exflex; 25-11-10 at 18:00 PM. Reason: typo

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to exflex For This Useful Post:

LeeB (25-11-10), riggles2 (25-11-10)