Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 3 Axis or Flex

Blog Entries
    Thanks

3 Axis or Flex

After spending the weekend trawling the net, this forum and going to see instructors, I am still undecided in which one to do, I appreciate wind speeds have to be less to fly flex but in all honesty Ive spent years on drop zones waiting for the wind speeds to drop below 20kts.
    Can anyone give me or list some pros and cons of the two to help me make a decision?
    Some people say flex as it's like been on a motorbike 'the freedom and wind in you hair. - done that, been there and fell out of love with the bike thing???

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Motorbiking is 2 dimensional, flying is 3 dimentional. The views are better and you get time to enjoy them. You are not likely to get knocked off a microlight by some chav in a jazzed up Punto. If you have read the forum you will see there are strong arguments on both sides and usual advice is try both before you decide. I prefer flexies but I do intend to get 3-axis too.
    CAUTION: Aviation may be hazardous to your wealth.

P Kelsey
    Ok lets add a 'lighthearted' bit of Banter to this Flexwings are flown by Wannabe pilots ( proven by how many Flexwing pilots upgrade to 3 axis ) just so they can be regarded as a 'Real' Pilot.... what you need to ask yourself is: When you were flying a Kite in the local park did you think you were piloting a flying machine or did you think you were hanging onto a triangle of cloth ( now think what a Flexwing resembles ).

The only type of aircraft you should be flying is: 3 Axis.... if you want to fly a triangle of fabric.... borrow your kids Kite

Quote Originally Posted by Skyservant View Post
    After spending the weekend trawling the net, this forum and going to see instructors, I am still undecided in which one to do, I appreciate wind speeds have to be less to fly flex but in all honesty Ive spent years on drop zones waiting for the wind speeds to drop below 20kts.
    Can anyone give me or list some pros and cons of the two to help me make a decision?
    Some people say flex as it's like been on a motorbike 'the freedom and wind in you hair. - done that, been there and fell out of love with the bike thing???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyservant View Post
    Hi there,

I am in exactly in the same boat; but I can share my experiences that I had this weekend when I booked for a Fixed wing session at the local school (was really windy and I wanted to experience it). The Aeroteknik Eurostar is the choice and a fine nice bird.. but alas, I am too heavy for the plane! (I am 6'3" and my doctor doesnt rate my weight as an issue; although I could lose some pounds)
    This highlighted the issue of 'Hot Ships' (discussing in another thread as the specs never crossed my mind) and for my hobby to be more rewarding, I dont want a plane that is at/over the maximum legal limits when tanks are full and two adults are in the cockpit.

Back to basic flying... so far Trikes are winning on the practicality/hangarage aspect. (although I prefer fixed wing as I have many hours flying one)

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Peter, shut up.

Have a go in both and then decide.

You can drive up to york and get a go with me in my flex for "nowt" if you want!
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Do you know me, I was flying a kite as a kid and it hit power lines, shocking it was.

I think I understand what you're all saying, I may give both a go

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cheers Vince, I actually turned a flight down at Rufforth about 91'sh we tried operating a skydive centre from there, but our CCI went up with someone?
    Sadly nowadays im bit of a fat knacker and i must lose some weight although looking on the manufactureres websites the max weight is 220kgs? so i maybe wrong?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyke Pilot View Post
    Motorbiking is 2 dimensional, flying is 3 dimentional. The views are better and you get time to enjoy them. You are not likely to get knocked off a microlight by some chav in a jazzed up Punto. If you have read the forum you will see there are strong arguments on both sides and usual advice is try both before you decide. I prefer flexies but I do intend to get 3-axis too.

You want to try land on our runway mate

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P Kelsey View Post
    <snip> what you need to ask yourself is: When you were flying a Kite in the local park did you think you were piloting a flying machine or did you think you were hanging onto a triangle of cloth ( now think what a Flexwing resembles ).

The only type of aircraft you should be flying is: 3 Axis.... if you want to fly a triangle of fabric.... borrow your kids Kite
    /me gets the flame suit on.... how about some more? ... Flying Samoosa or FloppyTop

P Kelsey
    Where is the Fire Extinguisher I have tried both and went straight back to 3 axis...... seriously it is whatever floats your boat !! Go for a flight in a Flex and then decide See you in the 3 axis soon

Quote Originally Posted by VinceG View Post
    Peter, shut up.

Have a go in both and then decide.

You can drive up to york and get a go with me in my flex for "nowt" if you want!