Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Thumbs up Quantum pilot (former Dragonflyer)

Hi Everyone
    I was brought here by Sam Beardsell, and I can now see why he rates it so highly. I think I shall be active here.

I recently moved to Great Oakley and am very happy there...the blokes in my hangar are all sociable and VERY helpful.

I write a blog - which recounts my flying experiences - initially it was about learning to fly with Flylight (Sywell) with an excellent instructor, Neill Howarth...getting my licence about 18 months ago...and about flying my Dragonfly, which I have just sold. I now have a Quantum 582, which has just been check flown, yesterday...and I went up as ballast and saw what it can really do....INCREDIBLE!

Cheers
    Peter

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hi Peter.

Welcome to the forum. I fly a quantum, love it to bits. That is when the weather is OK.

It rained all day in Yorkshire so we never got a chance to go flying yesterday.
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceG View Post

It rained all day in Yorkshire so we never got a chance to go flying yesterday.

Thanks for the welcome, Vince.

Didn't think I would either, but eventually, in a short gap between wind and rain, I got half an hour as ballast on my Check Flight. What a superb, very exciting experience that was, because as he said it is about testing what the aeropane will do, not the pilot....so he threw it into high energy stalls then flapped his arms around shouting, "Oh no, I don't know what to do" and, incredibly, the plane righted itself every time!...even when he tried to dive us into the ground, it forced a recovery, once past VNE.

Next time it flies it will rather more sedentary! That won't be this week, though, I'm afraid

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    You might want to upset everyone and let them know you've got 6/7 weeks holiday coming up with nothing better to do than go flying !!

And better still no nagging wife to complicate your timetable !!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    You might want to upset everyone and let them know you've got 6/7 weeks holiday coming up with nothing better to do than go flying !!

And better still no nagging wife to complicate your timetable !!
    sadly, it is only about 5 and a half weeks these days

Irishmicro
    You will find you get more airtime with your quantum compared to the dragonfly, and get to take a passenger up with you for company.
    It's a different beast all together safe flying.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishmicro View Post
    You will find you get more airtime with your quantum compared to the dragonfly, and get to take a passenger up with you for company.
    It's a different beast all together safe flying.
    yeah, I need loads more time in the air than SSDR affords. It got very frustrating, week after week, watching the good weather out of a school window, only for it to be crappy on the weekend...and then to watch Quiks and Quantums going off when wind grounded me.
    http://tinworm-wings.blogspot.co

I am now over on the dark side.

Thanks
    Tinworm: I'm going to read your blog as I was really fascinated by the Dragonfly. I was even thinking about getting one in the future to take with me on holiday.

A lot of plans... but first I need to get that license

Niels R.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    Tinworm: I'm going to read your blog as I was really fascinated by the Dragonfly. I was even thinking about getting one in the future to take with me on holiday.

A lot of plans... but first I need to get that license

Niels R.
    Hopefully my experience won't be typical, Niels. And it IS a fascinating little aeroplane, there is no doubt about it. When she behaves, she is wonderful. But she does have her limitations and you should not be misled about just how amazing the engine is. It often will not start, and once running, I found it chose the worst times to stop.

Good luck getting your licence.

I like your car!
    http://tinworm-wings.blogspot.co

I am now over on the dark side.

Thanks
    I don't want to tempt fate but the most impressive thing about the Bailey that came with my Dragonfly is that it has never failed to start first push of the button. It is the bigger one 4V200 and it has an automatic choke and some kind of decompression thing called an 'easystart' ..... and it hasn't stopped yet excpet when I'v switched it off in flight - wow what an amazing feeling that is, and on a 3.5 hour trip today it has used 2.85 litres per hour. So far I'm impressed, although I will say that if they could have produced say 28 hp rather than 22 it would have been just that bit more comfortable on take-off and in the climb.
    Mike