Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Microlight or Paramotor

I've been having microlight lessons for sometime and love the aspect of flying. I've also seen some paramotor people at the airfield I've been using and its made me interested in having some paramotor training. Long term costs I think paramotor is cheaper, and less restricted, but possibly more dangerous. Has anyone experienced both and which do they find more satisfying. (pros and cons)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    hi, had similar thoughts when i started out, check out my thread from this stage for peoples thoughts:

http://www.microlightforum.com/showt...omer-questions

Thanks
    We have paramotors at our strip too, and helis, and GA, it helps to pay the bills

John

Thanks
    I'm not so convinced on the long-term cost saving, but I may not be comparing like for like.

I have a friend who has gone the paramotor route (as he can fly thins from his own land); he has a 5000 Bailey paramotor with a 3000 wing.... and still can only fly in a gentle breeze.

For 5000 you could get a Flash 2A and a license to fly it. At 8000, you're not far away from a new Motorfloater, if small and light is what floats your boat.

Look into the life of paramotor wings too.

Hope that helps,

Rick

Thanks
    I go with Rick on this, you have more restrictions with a paramotor by far. I have several friends who have paramotors and they spend pretty much all the time in the same place due to wind etc. and their kit is not cheap! My cheap Flash 2 Alpha trike with Raven wing keeps up with most, goes where some can't and is comfortable for me and a passenger, tent sleeping bags, cameras, more clothing.......... for a range of over 4 hours, all for less cost than their paramotors.
    That said it takes all sorts and they are happy with what they have.
    Raven Alpha 582
    "Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Thanks
    ChocksAway,

I own and fly both. In my opinion, they are two very different things even though both get you in the same air. For me, it is a bit like choosing whether to drive cars or ride motorbikes. Both have their own pros and cons and both have their supporters and critics.

I fly a lot more in my flexwing trike than I do in the paramotor. A large part of this is due to my wife wanting to fly with me. However, there is also no doubt that the range of weather opportunities is greater the faster the machine you fly. I won't bat an eyelid flying in winds in the trike where I wouldn't even dream of taking the paramotor out of the garage. And, for the same speed reasons, you can get around a lot more in a flexwing.

In respect of safety, personally I think the flexwing trikes are safer, but an awful lot of safety comes down to the decisions you make as a pilot. But if you screw up - which most of us do now and again - I'd give you a much better chance of a happy outcome in a trike than a paramotor. That said, in nearly all circumstances an engine failure in a paramotor is merely a minor inconvenience. Fly the right way in the right conditions in either and the risks are probably smaller than motorcycling.

In respect of cost, how long is a piece of string? My Miniplane cost 4,000 new, and a new wing is usually in the order of 2,000 to 3,000. Other paramotors cost more than my Miniplane. However, a new QuikR is about 35,000. Buying in the secondhand market gives you much cheaper opportunities for either, but you need to have someone with you who knows what they are looking at. PPG wings will not last anywhere near as long as a flexwing. Another plus of ppgs is ease of storage. No expensive hangar fees. And they are fairly easy to transport around. Having said that, there are some really great flexwing trike bargain around these days.

In respect of learning to fly, I consider a ppg is much harder to fly properly. Whatever the legal requirements of licencing in this country, I think the ppg takes a lot more skill to launch and fly safely. Good wing control on the ground takes a lot of practise.

Ultimately, I'm lucky enough to be able to do both. And I find both very satisfying. Both are fun to fly but in different ways. If you are intrigued by ppgs then go and talk to some of the people flying them at your airstrip. Or have a read of this forum:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Pilots...guid=207877886

Paramotor pilots are very passionate about their flying. As are microlight pilots. Both are great. Good luck to you with whatever you decide to fly.

Paul

Thanks
    Thanks that has given me a lot to consider. I'm gonna stick with microlight as have invested too much into this, plus do really enjoy it. But I also plan on the same as Paul posted and have best of both worlds and do paramotor, however this will be later on, when cost allows and I've racked up lots of hrs on my own microlight (one day when I purchase one) lots of things to look forward too. Hope my bank managers in a good mood.....

Thanks
    Well Chocksaway. . . .

There is a lot of sensible, useful info in those posts, you can't ask the wrong thing on here can you ??

On a sillier note, just think,. . . if you fly a paramotor and something goes amiss, at least you can get the undercarriage repaired for FREE on the NHS. ( ! )

Happy flying.

Phil.
    Skype : PilotPhil312 E: cosigngraphic@yahoo.co.uk Ham Radio Station - G4 OHK 10 Mtres FM, 2 metres fm, 70 centimetres fm, and lurking about on15, 20 and 40 metres ssb as well. . . . .

Thanks
    Phil...
    from experience, I only got my undercarriage repaired on the NHS, when I was Paramotoring, by saying I was running and had tripped over a rock.. (which actually was true).

Thanks
    Hhhmmmmm Yes, I think I get the drift,

My Mate Paul crashed an Avid Flyer ( 3 axis ) when the rear left strut bolt broke on takeoff. . . . he hit a deep ploughed field at around 80 mph.... when we took him to the hospital, they wouldn't believe he had been in an aeroplane accident . . . .why, ? I don't know. He still had some potatoes in his pockets. . . .

Sometimes, the truth will NOT set you free.......
    Skype : PilotPhil312 E: cosigngraphic@yahoo.co.uk Ham Radio Station - G4 OHK 10 Mtres FM, 2 metres fm, 70 centimetres fm, and lurking about on15, 20 and 40 metres ssb as well. . . . .