Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Irishmicro

Convert from 3 Axis to Flex or vice-versa

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Irishmicro; 01-11-11 at 16:34 PM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Foxbat is a bad choice for the second photo, I'll bet no foxbat owner has ever gone flex-wing
    The best time to learn to fly was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    CambridgeshireMicrolights.co.uk

Irishmicro
    Your probably right Katie, what 3 Axis model would you suggest?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Hmmm... Possible a CTSW, as while it is an excellent aircraft it is possibly a bit boring to fly, at least A to B but then it soon get interesting when trying to land the thing. Maybe it should be the C-42 as let's be honest, it is the lazy persons aeroplane, so comfortable and forgiving and it does all the hard work for you.

Are you going to convert?
    The best time to learn to fly was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    CambridgeshireMicrolights.co.uk

Irishmicro
    C42 it is.
    Not thinking of converting anytime soon Katie as I'm still learning with the C42 but I would like to try for a Taildragger rating.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had a conversation with a very experienced instructor a while back on a similar subject.
    I asked him about adding the flex wing rating to my licence and he suggested that it would be much easier to go from 3-axis to gyroplane than 3-axis to weight-shift.

It seems that, while entirely feasable, it is quite a conversion to do as you have to re-learn the most basic manoeuvres which all go the opposite way to what you're used to...

I must say, I quite fancy having a go at gyros, they look like fun, if a bit noisy
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    When I had an hour in the Cessna on Sat not once did I get the controls the wrong way round whilst flying. But on the ground it took every ounce of the small amount of brain power I have to steer the thing in the right direction. I was all over the place. Tried steering with the yoke aswell, that didn't work either, stupid bloody things. Katie, that's why we need enclosed flexes with all the toys, cuz I can't fly anything else !!

Irishmicro
    I started on a flexy and found the ground taxying easier on the flex than the 3 axis but simple turns were all back to front, right turns went left, pulling back went down instead of up not easy for me.

Gyros are brilliant but extremely expensive

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    The main concern, I believe, is not when you're thinking about things, but if you ever get in the sh*t.
    If you have to revert to instinctive responses, you are more likely to apply the actions first learnt which, if you happen to be flying the other type of aircraft, could be a bit tricky.
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentreau View Post
    I had a conversation with a very experienced instructor a while back on a similar subject.
    I asked him about adding the flex wing rating to my licence and he suggested that it would be much easier to go from 3-axis to gyroplane than 3-axis to weight-shift.

It seems that, while entirely feasable, it is quite a conversion to do as you have to re-learn the most basic manoeuvres which all go the opposite way to what you're used to...

I must say, I quite fancy having a go at gyros, they look like fun, if a bit noisy
    I've not done it but I can't get my head around that. I think it would be easy, try steering the car with your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, then try steering it at the top. It's obvious.

Or is that just the right handed brain of mine? Being left handed?
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog