Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

3 axis photography solution

Since going 3-axis from a Quantum, I've missed the photography; No matter how good the camera, and how good the lense is... there's still a piece of scratched tinted perspex in front of it (unless you want to slow down to below 75 and open a door, which I don't!), and I've been looking for a solution.

Think I've found it too. I have it on good authority that Santa is bringing me a GoPro HD2 camera (seen the money go out of the bank to Dogcamsport already) http://www.dogcamsport.co.uk/gopro-h...r-edition.html, which looks like a cracking piece of kit to be mounted on a lift strut (nobody pipe up with mod ******** please; I know and I assure you that I will do all the paperwork that I feel is necessary....).

Additionally, in Feb 2012, the GoPro Wifi module comes out http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/GoPro-...mote_1877.html which will stream video and allow control of the camera from a smartphone, PDA or PC. Given that my nav system is already PC based, I already have a wifi enabled windows tablet on the panel giving me an 8" screen that the will display what the camera on the wing is doing and allow me to choose between stills/video and frame a shot before taking it.

Next step? I'd really like some sort of motorised mount to allow me to turn the camera through 2 axis; horizontal down to vertical, and through 180 left to right. The mechanics of this are well within my grasp using RC servos (of which I have plenty spare from my former hobbies); it's the control unit. I know they operate on various pulses to go one way or another, and I could wire it all up to a RC receiver and battery pack... but then I'd need a transmitter in the cockpit and a big lump on the wing. Getting silly there, when in reality a 4 very lightweight wires from 2 rocker switches in the cockpit (dare I say on the panel?) and a simple bit of circuitry would do the job admirably.

Is there anybody out there who, for a nominal fee, would like to make me such a circuit board if I told them the voltage and frequency of the pulses I'm after?

Thoughts???

Thanks
    Any use? http://principialabs.com/arduino-pyt...servo-control/
    Was trying to do something similiar but decided it was more trouble than its worth

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FarmStripFlyer For This Useful Post:

Rick Moss (22-11-11)

Thanks
    Yes, exactly like that but with somebody clever enough to do it and make it work!
    Also, I don't really want to run it through the PC also as the screen is only so big... I already have Skydemon and often Peppa Pig running for the little guy

Q1PP.JPG

2 rocker switches really would suffice. Powering it from a USB port does make sense, except that the Q1 has only 2 USB ports; one is in constant use for the GPS and the other is normally charging a phone or the bluetooth module.

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    If Martin Duckett doesn't see this thread, give him a shout via P.M.

I'm certain he can sort it for you.
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Doesn't the stick and rudder give you control in 3-axis already? Just mount it on the longitudinal axis and pretend you're a Stuka!
    I've forgotten, therefore I may be.

Thanks
    Will do Vince.

Andy; that's all well and good unless you want to take a picture of the aircraft flying next to you...

Thanks
    Could always use two servo testers - one for pan and one tilt.

This one looks to be available from various sources:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamco-Serv...item48429118fb

Not sure if it'd give you a 180 degree swing though, most servos are usually about 90. I do remember cracking open a Futaba 148 and adding a couple of resistors inside to make it swing further in order to operate retracts. Years ago now and I've forgotten exactly what I did...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sean Dougan For This Useful Post:

Rick Moss (22-11-11)

Thanks
    That works Sean! The limited travel on a servo can be overcome by the linkages moving the camera.

Thanks
    Ah, I see. I had it in my head that the camera would be attached directly to the output arm of one servo, sitting on the arm of the other.

Thanks
    That's a blindingly obvious (now...) and simple method! I was thinking of something interesting, perhaps with bowden cables to allow the servos to be in the wing.