Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

3 axis manoeuvres while training

Hi,
    I was wondering when training for a microlight 3 axis license is there spinning involved.EG slow turn to the right and then spinning left while in the turn,Or stalling with wing drop or even a full blown 3 or 4 turn spin.I was wondering as microlights are not really allowed to do these.If not how do you learn how to recover from these very dangerous manoeuvres as these usually happen when low.
    Russell

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    don't think so.

stalling from level flight only and no spinning.

the training centres around prevention rather than cure.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks
    The syllabus involves spin awareness were the student would be advised upon the aircraft state leading up to a spin, how to recognise it and recover from it before it develops. Stalls are the previous exercise and are covered in various scenarios to add to student knowledge and understanding.

Given that three axis microlights, especially modern machines are very stable and anti spin it would really take some terrible flying to get into that position and as already mentioned, the idea is to never get into that position.
    Carl Bayliss
    GT450

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Spinning is not in the PPL training either, it used to be but it was taken out as (I belive) more were killed in the training then in stall-spin accidents. Plus stall-spins are usually at circuit height when it's far to low to get out of them.

C-42s were going to be cleared to spin in the UK. Our aircraft was the one used in the trials but the paperwork was never completed.

Russel, have you done spining in gliders yet? If so what's it like?
    Last edited by Katie; 13-12-11 at 00:05 AM.
    The best time to learn to fly was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    CambridgeshireMicrolights.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    Hi,
    I was wondering when training for a microlight 3 axis license is there spinning involved.EG slow turn to the right and then spinning left while in the turn,Or stalling with wing drop or even a full blown 3 or 4 turn spin.I was wondering as microlights are not really allowed to do these.If not how do you learn how to recover from these very dangerous manoeuvres as these usually happen when low.
    Russell
    Not to disagree or otherwise be contentious, but certainly part of my training and subsequent GFT was recovery from dangerous and unusual attitudes - and the instructor definitely put the plane out of balance at critical (read stall) speeds both in the climb and in descent. Lovely chap. My memory (and feel free to put me right) is that in the descent, chop power, level out & full power climb. If climbing, full power, attain sensible attitude & then level out - then full power climb.

As ever, constructive criticism welcomed.

Spelinh mistskrs curtsey of TapaTalk

Thanks
    Unusual and Dangerous Attitudes (ex15) is a bit different to stall (ex10b) and spin awarness (ex11), although if nose up unusual or dangerous attitudes are not corrected it can lead to stall/spin and worse in the worst case scenario, that is why you're taught to recognise and correct them
    Carl Bayliss
    GT450

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    ...have you done spining in gliders yet? If so what's it like?
    Here's some footage of me spinning in a K13

and a Citabria

Once you start it's addictive though...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to microlightgary For This Useful Post:

Katie (13-12-11)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie View Post
    Spinning is not in the PPL training either, it used to be but it was taken out as (I belive) more were killed in the training then in stall-spin accidents. Plus stall-spins are usually at circuit height when it's far to low to get out of them.

C-42s were going to be cleared to spin in the UK. Our aircraft was the one used in the trials but the paperwork was never completed.

Russel, have you done spining in gliders yet? If so what's it like?
    Hi,
    yes have done spinning before.Last weekend was brushing up and had a great day good fun seeing the trees going round and round.I do feel that if you have never done this type of thing before it would be a very good idea to go to the nearest gliding club and try it. Knowing what to do not just being aware can one day save your life.Its not the full blown spin it is the factors leading up to it that are more important.If you know what to do when you stall and a wing drops and you start to spin you can stop the spin before it happens.I know you are taught not to let it happen but just in case as you never know.A few quid spent down the local gliding club is money well spent and you never know you might enjoy it.
    Russell

Thanks
    My FAA PPL (30 years ago) not only included stalls, spins and spiral dives but I was required to recover from all three while wearing an IFR hood. That was before the elf n safety brigade decided it was much safer all round if we only talked about these "dangerous" maneuvers (did I spell that right?). What worries me is that this generation is now being taught by instructors who have never experienced a genuine spin. Unless you can tell me it is part of instructor training. Of course manufacturers have done a great deal to make their aircraft spin resistant, but even so...
    I would thoroughly recommend an aerobatics course to anyone who hasn't done one. It's really good fun as well as potentially life saving (IMHO).

Grelly
    Last edited by Grelly; 13-12-11 at 13:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Me & a mate from the airfield were talking about this the other day. We said that we would both like to experience the "spin" from an awareness point of view. We were thinking of booking a lesson in a suitable GA aircraft and going for it.
    There is an art, or rather a knack, to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.