Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Starting to go insane

Not for the first time in the last few weeks I have yet again had to cancel my ferry flight of G-UPTA from Ireland over to Manchester. I have the Skyranger fuelled , cleaned, serviced and ready to go. I went down to the hanger this evening after work with the intention of flying to Newtonards and then onto CastleKennedy and if the time and weather suited try and get further south. Early departure then in the morning to get to Manchester for 8.30am in the morning and hand the plane over in person with a hand shake. When I left the office in Dublin the wind was just 10 mph, showers were knocking about but forecast was good for the remainder of the evening. I arrived at the airfield at 5.30pm and the bloody wind was 30 mph gusting 40 mph, with a nice clear sky, not forecasted. A buddy of mine was going to join me as the wingman and fly me home again in his spare seat, we were going to have a nice little Jolly away from work and family commitments. However he was experiencing the same wind conditions plus the rain and cloud was on the ground at his strip. No point in risking a flight in what is now someone elses beautiful airplane in marginal conditions so we stood down and not for the first time went home. Weather for tomorrow is closing in around the Solway Firth and that is no place to be in crappy weather. The forecast seems to be changing every 6 hours. No one has a clue what's happening. I had to beg to get tomorrow off as we are very busy in work. I'm not going to waste it so I'll work now tomorrow instead. My boss will love me.

I am cracking up, this weather is awful. Really awful. I'm going to try again at the weekend. It's my anniversary on Saturday and my wife said she did'nt care if I went on Saturday, she is just sick of hearing about it. I think she is going insane too, but for different reasons.

Damien.
    Pilots are just Plane people with a special Air about them.

G-BZJO Quantum 503 Flexwing only Jockey now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Not much better here, not even in normally sunny East Anglia
    The best time to learn to fly was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.
    CambridgeshireMicrolights.co.uk

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    It's a ballache no doubt but hopefully we are not depending on decent weather for a living. I'd hate to be an instructor at present. My brother in law is an arable farmer, smallish farm and tight margins. His brow is looking increasingly furrowed. Keep the memsahib happy Damien; that's most important!
    Easy Raider
    G-OEZI

Thanks

Red face

Damien. . . ..

I once got stuck for five weeks in the monsoon whilst trying my best to ferry an aeroplane to the buyer. . . .. I wasn't getting anything from the deal other than wages, but I really KNOW what you must be feeling.

Very sad, BUT. . . . . the weather WILL improve. . . . ( surely it HAS to ? )

Best wishes anyway

Phil XX
    Skype : PilotPhil312 E: cosigngraphic@yahoo.co.uk Ham Radio Station - G4 OHK 10 Mtres FM, 2 metres fm, 70 centimetres fm, and lurking about on15, 20 and 40 metres ssb as well. . . . .

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks Phil,

I am planning to depart now early on Saturday morning. Fingers crossed. Looking forward to finally getting underway, I will keep you updated. Weather forecasts are looking a little more settled, but of course that could all change over the next 36 hours.

Damien.

Damien.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Well that's it, job done. G-UPTA is now in Manchester Barton with it's new owner. I am now at an internet kiosk in Dublin Airport waiting for my wife and 3 year old boy to collect me.
    I awoke yesterday morning at 4.30am, had a quick breakfast of cheerios and went to the flying field for 6am. Pulled G-UPTA of of her hanger for the last time and out into the sunshine. wind was 330/9 kts. Carried out my checks and confirmed my flight plans with Shannon and took off for Tandragee Co. Armagh at 6.45am. Landed in Tandragee at 7.45 where I met with friends , had a coffee, revalidated my PPL(M) with an hour of dangerous and unusual attitudes, stalls, PFL's and low level turns along a river whilst maitaining balance. All in all fantastic fun and great confidence builder for my solo flight to Barton. I departed again after a couple of nature breaks and a refuel where I filled G-UPTA to the gills and took off at 10.40am for my flight to Barton. I had to divert around some showers in Northern Ireland , but my Irish Sea crossing was beautiful and when coasting in over Port Patrick in Scotland I was awarded with Sunshine and almost nil winds. I coasted half way down the Soloway firth and crossed across for a flight of 20 minutes across water to continue my flight along the English west coast. It was a fantastic flight which kept me ver4y busy as I spoke to Shannon, Belfast Aldergrove, Belfast City, Scottish and London, whilst changing several transponder codes each time and I enjoyed the radio company. I landed in Barton 3 hours later at 13.40 where I handed G-UPTA over to it's proud new owner. I had to wait until this morning to come home with Ryanair as they were charging me €500 at the desk yeesterday evening. Job is now done. Great little adventure.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I know how you must of felt Damien ,not easy letting go of something that has given you such great fun,I sold my racing car that i won championships with and had great fun but we can't keep everything,time to move on,hope you get the weather to enjoy the flex.
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Last edited by damienair; 16-07-12 at 08:03 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Great pics Damien ,is the lucky new owner a forum member.
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now