Thread: which 3 axis??

Thanks

which 3 axis??

Hi, I am learning in a eurostar ev97. A very fine 3 axis to learn to fly. I have seen a lot of fixed wing round from the ban-bi to the x-air to the ctsw to the ran s6.

But which one to look at, once I get my licence. all have different qualities and quirks. Ranging from 6k to 50k. was just a thought, still have at least 20hr to go. but it is something to look forward to.

Thanks

Re: which 3 axis??

That depends on the kind of flying that you intend to do
    If you are set on distance flying then you will need an aircraft with a fair cruise speed and low fuel consumption. That usualy means modern four stroke powered kit.
    e.g. Eurostar, CTSW, C42, 912 or Jab powered Skyranger/ Rans S6, Thruster Sprint and in my opinion the only one of the older types that makes it into this catogory the Shadow, which although the most common ones have only 50hp are an outstanding aircraft with great performace for that power and superb handing.
    Then if your fancy is for more tradional micolighting (a lot of local flying with the occassional foray of 2 hours plus and now and then an adventure in which there is no real limit) the choice is much bigger then your choice of aircraft is very wide indeed
    e.g. Ax3, AX2000, 503 powered Rans S6, 447 powered Shadow are all good aircraft, then you have the X Air which is an excellant beginers aircraft as it is so forgiving and of course my personal favorite the tailwheel Thrusters, TST and T300 (I rate as the most fun aircraft ever built)
    You could of chose chose to go single seat to fly such great machines as the Minimax, Sluka, Rans S5 and S4
    Then you may be interested in sub 115 flying, this is rapidly developing with the Kolb Firefox, Reality Kid and the Grass Strip Aviation Eindekker replica
    Just a few thought after all the world is your oyster
    Ginge

Thanks

GINGE.....GINGE......GINGE......

You didn't mention the ubiquitous MW range at the end of your message...... I'm shocked and stunned.

I have seen these aeoplanes for sale at really silly low prices. there was one last week for 1200.00 !!
    Now, I realise that certain Prima Donna instructors might turn their noses up, but to get one's derriere into the sky for this sort of money has got to be worth a mention. I'm only sorry that the MW8 was not a successful design, being mid wing with an integral engine, long shaft extension and a pusher prop, it was very unstable in pitch. This one was the exception. I've flown the only MW4 in existence, this had a ford Transit propshaft unversal coupling holding the tail feathers in position, so that the entire tail unit was mobile, and the BMAA didn't like that idea. However the thing was really nice to fly, albeit single seat.

There are loads of MW6 two seat variants around the country, both tandem as well as side by side seating configuration. they are easy to fly, and very easy to repair / maintain, I think they do need a mention. OK, they are not exactly the sort of aircraft that you'd fly to South Africa, or around Europe, but they are great for the flyer on a shoestring !!!

If anyone would like to see a few of these...., the MW Weekend is on at Otherton at the end of May. All comers welcome, ---no landing fees.

Food and camping available.

Kind regards,
    Phil Perry
    Skype : PilotPhil312 E: cosigngraphic@yahoo.co.uk Ham Radio Station - G4 OHK 10 Mtres FM, 2 metres fm, 70 centimetres fm, and lurking about on15, 20 and 40 metres ssb as well. . . . .

Thanks

[quote="Old Hairy Kangaroo"]GINGE.....GINGE......GINGE......

You didn't mention the ubiquitous MW range at the end of your message...... I'm shocked and stunned.]

Please accept my groveling apology
    MWs are certainly an aircraft well worthy of consideration. Although I have only flown one of the type (an MW6T, but am angling for the chance to fly an MW6S and have not given up on getting the chance at an MW5) I liked it. It was a sweet handling true fun aeroplane, give it a tailwheel and it could be truely great aircraft

Another type that I thoughly enjoyed was a Phantom, but there are not really enough of them around anymore. I only had a short flight but have been promised the chance to give it a good workout. I had wanted to fly it ever since it had it's check flight for permit and we wondered if the check pilot was going to give it back. He is a guy not easily impressed but when he finaly landed he had a grin like someone after their first solo and he said if there is anyone who doesn't enjoy flying one of these that he is no kind of pilot

I'm sure that there are lots more real grin invoking types out there to fly, and with sub 115 coming on there are going to be more, bring em on

Ginge
    PS.
    I'm glad the MW4 is still around, Iv'e not seen it since the early 80s when it was at Cranfield. The later pictures look a bit posher than it did there.