Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Best / most accurate book or material to study NPPL(m) Air Law?

Hi, I admittedly have another thread running looking for multimedia type alternative to book / written text learning for Air Law, but it's looking like I might have to submit and turn to a book! If / when I do what's the best one? I know there are other threads on this kind of thing but I wanted to check what's current right now, and will most accurately reflect the exam paper I will sit?

If it is "Air Law for Microlight Pilots" as scanning forums seems to suggest then is the 2007 edition the latest and if so do I need to be concerned about updates to Air Law since the book was published?

If there is no fully up-to-date book, then if I want to make sure I'm reading 100% accurate / current information then what is the defacto source (however dry and unintelligible) as I assume there is a printed statement on which the exams are based?

I know there are mock exams (and they may help), but these are often questioned in terms of accuracy and reported frequently as having wrong answers mixed in. I'd be interested to learn of any 100% accurate mock / prep tests too if anyone knows of any.

I have no issue in paying for correct / relevant material - I just want to know that what I'm learning is correct, that way any deviation from 100% is purely my own stupidity...

(Still hoping for some other media that is kinder to work with than parchment though )

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Cosgrove is still relevant and a must read.
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog

Thanks
    From what I've read on forums Cosgrove is pretty out of date? I'm sure it is still valid in many respects but the contents aren't going to give me a shot at 100% from what I understand of the book?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I used Air Law for Microlights and found it contained important info not in Cosgrove. As to being up to date, any book is out of date as soon as it is published (time lag between compliation and publication can be significant) but your instructor should be able to fill you in on any new changes. Cosgrove is out of date on licencing for a start. Ait Law was written by Geoff Weighill so it might be worth contacting him about updates?
    Nigel James
    XL-Q G-MVKN

"To most people, the sky is the limit. To those who love flying, the sky is home"

Thanks
    Hi i recently did the air law exam and got 100%.
    I used both the Air Law for ML pilots by GW and the Cosgrove and both i think are worth buying they are excellant referance material for later dates.
    Being able to do the "to the clouds" mock exams online for free and flick through the books to understand why you got certain questions wrong was great. I did about 2hrs study a night for four nights and seeked further explaination of parts i wasnt 100% about with my flying instructor and as i said i got a perfect score first attempt.
    Give me parchment anyday i refuse to pay for something that i cant take with me in my flight bag out to the club or depend on technology.

Founding Member - See my blog entries for help using the forums VinceG's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gbandera View Post
    From what I've read on forums Cosgrove is pretty out of date? I'm sure it is still valid in many respects but the contents aren't going to give me a shot at 100% from what I understand of the book?
    Why do you want 100%?

A pass is a pass, and you will gain your license which is the "end objective" surely?
    Happy Safe Flying
    May your Landings = Your Take Offs
    Vince Gledhill
    Site Admin
    http://www.microlightforum.com
    http://www.greeneru.co.uk to save the planet by changing to LED lights.

Find help here with various aspects of using the forum in my blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceG View Post
    Why do you want 100%?
    Shouldn't we be encouraging all students to aim for 100%?

Air law was easily my most hated exam; mostly because the syllabus is so woolly on what you need to know (Do you need to know who is responsible for assessing visibility in class D airspace? How about SSR codes? What about grounds symbols for SAR teams?)

Yes, the books are out of date, but if it's any consolation, half the time so are the exams (which is just bonkers) - thankfully typically in limited areas such as SSDR and overflight rules.

Thanks
    If a job's worth doing... In my professional career technical exams I have consistently got 100% with lowest being 94% (downer that one was!) so why should I strive for anything less because its a hobby??

Have to disagree on parchment - awful stuff, technology is fine (you just need backups) - I carry an iPad, iPad Mini and an ultra book for instance and sync files between them - even combined with a spare power pack or two they weigh less, are more flexible and hold more than a couple of decent reference books - personal choice of course but I get frustrated quickly with the limitations of printed material...

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    As Vince said if you want to get the licence bit,accept it no one is perfect ,you will find that out when you do the GST,no one ever passes that 100 PCM instructors will mark you down any slight deviation ,enjoy the flying cos that's why most of us do it,good luck,I think air law was the easiest exam,nav hardest.
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Thanks
    Hi gbandera,

If you really want the full monty, and online too, google for CAP 393, CAA VFR Guide, and NATS AIS.

After checking those out you might prefer a simpler solution, so I'd recommend Geoff Weighell's book
    and ask your instructor about any differences with current law.

Have fun
    Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor