Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jabiru engines

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Jabiru engines

Hi can some the experts tell me why jabiru engines are not liked and ones to avoid,all the ones I've heard sound so quiet and smooth,Dave.
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Thanks
    Dont believe everything you hear, Dave. Jabs are perfectly good engines but like everything mechanical they need to be treated right. Its true they need a good installation and don't like being overheated (air-cooled) - pusher installations such as in flex-wings don't suit them.

There'll be lots of folk along soon to praise them - more knowledgeable than me - and some to tell you that if it doesn't say Rotax on it and cost silly money then its not worth putting on your aeroplane.

Let battle commence...
    Martin
    BMAA 5370

Thanks
    I personally hate flying behind a jab engine, every single jab engine at Ince has had problems in various different airframes. There seemed to be a batch that worked, then they went and changed to hydraulic lifters and screwed it up again! Rumour is they have sorted them again now... give me a 582 over a Jab any day!
    Carl Bayliss
    GT450

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    learnt to fly on 2 jab powered thrust sprints.

i think the early small headed ones are best avoided. There are also some large head models to avoid also - something to do with the first hydraulic lifters i think. the newest of the serial numbers is ok i think.. although i stand to be corrected.

of the two i learnt on:

1) large head model (not sure on tappets) after 1850 hours still had good compression no major work required

2) small head model, lost compression and went for maintenance at ~875 hours. 6.5k bill for new larger heads (£900 a pop) and other work.

i never felt uncomfortable flying the jabs (even number 2 pre rebuild), had carb icing once when vacating the runway on a solo flight but other than that they performed as asked.
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
    ó Winston Churchill

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Just bought a Jab , pre hydraulic lifters and large heads.
    In thrust we trust

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajojets View Post
    Just bought a Jab , pre hydraulic lifters and large heads.
    I had a 582 seize on me with no warning. The front main bearing broke up and travelled up the cylinder, taking out the piston. At the time of the failure, it was below 200 hours from new ! Also it suffered with carb icing regularly.

I have a Jab these days, one of the last solid lifter ones before hydraulic tappets came out. 320 hours so far, with no oil leaks. T's & P's always good. I trust it more than any oil burner I ever had !
    In fact I flew from the IOW to Cherbourg behind it ( 60 miles ) and was no big deal. Done numerous Channel crossings at lesser distances too.

In my opinion, if the installation is correct with regard to cool air entering the cowling and balance of hot air escaping. Also the servicing done at the correct intervals properly, there's no reason it shouldn't run for many years without problems.

All engines will have little niggles and development issues over time. Rotax 912s' have had their share, and now the fuel pumps are an issue !

All a matter of preference.

My Jab is quiet, smooth, cheap on consumables and always starts first go. I like it.
    No gearbox to worry about, or cooling system with super expensive pipework either.
    Escapade driver from Sussex.

Thanks
    Some interesting comments on this thread regarding jabiru engines v 912s.

http://www.microlightforum.com/showt...ds-interesting

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Point taken John,sounds like when I bought a brand new Mercedes chassis for a recovery truck it was £1500 more than anything else but I did half a million miles in her the only mechanical thing apart from servicing was to adjust the tappets ,she had the original clutch when I sold her,quality was cheaper in the long run.
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Thanks
    This reminds me of the older 2-stroke vs 4-stroke debates. When it comes down to it all engine types have their problems and most people have limited experience and base their opinions on that. If they've experienced a poor example of one type and a good example of another, then they - human nature - extrapolate their experiences to the whole fleet. I've not seen data from an independent source but my Jab experiences (personally or vicariously) have been better than my equivalent Rotax ones. Does that mean they are better? Not necessarily; either way.

Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..

Thanks
    I donít personally rate all Rotax engines highly, the 2-strokers have their own set of issues.
    The 912 however is in another league, and is the market leader for good reason.
    If you were building a new aircraft and it was light enough to accommodate either a jab or a 912
    In my humble view, for the almost same price, you would be bonkers to select the jab.
    I appreciate Joan has a school Thruster with a Jab engine so probably wonít agree.
    Not sure if T600Ns are light enough to be able to use the 912 anyway?