Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    "Stay true"? Who's brainwashing now

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

rodeonick1985 (17-07-13)

Thanks
    You could also try Bedford Microlights at Sandy - nice people , great support throughout training or after and a great club.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Watson View Post
    Usually but not always. Best to call one of us to check first - numbers on the website. And (as the fixed wing instructor) I have to say that you should try both types before you decide whether to go fixed or flexy

We look forward to meeting you
    Okay, I might give you a call and pop over this week, if not I'll definitely see you some time next week

Quote Originally Posted by rodeonick1985 View Post
    Dont listen to the brain washers mate stay true..
    Don't worry, I'm definitely a flexwing guy. I've flown with friends in light aircraft and microlights, and out of all of them I've had most fun in flexwings. I'm avid biker and IMO flexwings are as close to a flying motorbike as you can get

5. The Following User Says Thank You to muddysuvner For This Useful Post:

rodeonick1985 (17-07-13)

Thanks
    Brain washed already then. Can't do much more for you
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 17-07-13 at 21:04 PM. Reason: PS. google Airbike UK

Thanks
    Not sure how others feel but I'd also consider what you want to end up flying and finding a school at which you'll have access to similar. Learning on a 35,000 machine when you only intend to spend 3k will most likely not diminish your enjoyment of your own steed but may well increase the learning curve for you.
    "I thought you were supposed to be flying this thing, not pleasuring it."
    - Paul Gallagher

Thanks
    Well said. It goes further. A lot of people seem to forget that maintenance and operations are also part of the microlight course. So there you go learning on a metal and glass ship (or flexi equivalent) and its heavy watercooled 4-stroke, only to find yourself on qualification trying to understand the intricacies of dacron and tube driven by an aircooled 2-stroke with wooden prop - and having to rig/derig at each end of the day so you can afford the storage between flights.

What a lot of people forget too is that though most forumites can afford the time and the money to fly regularly, many microlight pilots struggle to get enough flying done post-licence to meet the requirements for revalidation by experience. That introduces other factors like the need for engine and airframe care between flights as well as planning the limited flying to maximise safe currency.

So to echo willjohnh's post, make sure the school you choose understands the sort of flying you'll be doing once you've got that licence.
    Last edited by MadamBreakneck; 18-07-13 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added a bit

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MadamBreakneck View Post

What a lot of people forget too is that though most forumites can afford the time and the money to fly regularly, many microlight pilots struggle to get enough flying done post-licence to meet the requirements for revalidation by experience. That introduces other factors like the need for engine and airframe care between flights as well as planning the limited flying to maximise safe currency.

So to echo willjohnh's post, make sure the school you choose understands the sort of flying you'll be doing once you've got that licence.
    Can you clarify this for us Newbies please? What are these requirements and what are the implications of not meeting them?

In the process of looking for a school myself in Northants, Cambs or Beds.

Thanks

Neil

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nezrobiso View Post
    Can you clarify this for us Newbies please? What are these requirements and what are the implications of not meeting them?

In the process of looking for a school myself in Northants, Cambs or Beds.

Thanks

Neil
    12 hours every two years, six of which must be in the second year. If you get those hour in your instructor will sign you logbook and endorse your license to be valid for the next 2 years. You must also do an hour with an instructor every two years if you are flying anything other than a single seater.

If you fail to achieve this then you must revalidate your license by test, ie. Sit your GST again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks
    Hi Meggark,

If and when I hopefully pass everything, how would I stand If I flew my minimum 12 hours from a private farm strip?

How is it evidential, and do I 100% have to have the hours signed off by an instructor every two years?

Does this regulation apply to everyone who fly's?

Thanks

John

Thanks
    Neil, John,

The rules, in common with most air law, are complicated enough that a simple summary in a forum post can result in even further misunderstanding. They are simple enough, though, to be learnt and understood my most microlight pilots. Most important of all to remember when you start out is that you are just starting out and there is a lot to learn and a lot you will be taught. You don't need to understand it all before you start - that's what the learning phase is about.

In the first instance, you might find the BMAA web site a mine of useful, and accurate, information www.bmaa .org under the two tabs 'Quick Start Information' and 'Learn to Fly Microlights'. In particular, this linked page will answer a lot of your questions. Short answers to your questions are:

Q: If and when I hopefully pass everything, how would I stand If I flew my minimum 12 hours from a private farm strip? A: as long as you can satisfy an R-examiner that you have done the hours, and legally, then you'll have no problem.

Q: How is it evidential, and do I 100% have to have the hours signed off by an instructor every two years? A: I don't understand the first part of your question, but your primary source of evidence for the R-examiner will be your personal flying log book. 100%? No not 100%, it can depend on what you fly and you can also revalidate by test with a flight examiner.

Q: Does this regulation apply to everyone who fly's? A: it applies to everyone who flies with a UK NPPL. Other licences have other rules.

Don't worry, we all manage somehow, and you don't need to know until you've got your licence by which time you'll know the answers to most of these questions and you'll know people to ask if you don't.

Just start flying and enjoy the learning

Joan

Back to just bimbling in the TST.

No longer instructing - just pontificating..
    and now a Tai Chi instructor

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MadamBreakneck For This Useful Post:

nezrobiso (01-09-13)