Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Flight Instructor Rating

Hi All

I've had a few lessons in a flexwing and hope to carry on with my training ASAP. I have a question I'm hoping some of the experienced flyers can answer... This is a query only so please don't think I'm jumping the gun!

I absolutely love flying and wanted to find out what it would take to make a living/career from instructing flexwing flying? My own profession is a lecturer (i enjoy teaching others) so naturally I thought this may be something I can work towards in the distant future. Earning a high salary is not a priority for me, enjoying my job is.

I have tried to research this but seem to find many conflicting responses.

Thanks
    Ross

Thanks
    Long days, no weekends and students finding new and interesting ways to kill you. (quote from one of my instructors)

Need a minimum of 100hrs experience and then i think you can folk out around 3k for an instructors course but that could wrong. I think you then have to work under a CFI for a While too.
    Last edited by rodeonick1985; 05-09-13 at 22:02 PM. Reason: Added more info
    Cheers Nick

Old Sarum Airfield.
    G-BYPL
    Quantum 912

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rodeonick1985 For This Useful Post:

rossi (05-09-13)

Thanks
    I did the man-maths recently.

10 hrs instructing per week @ 110 / hr = 1100 per week.... 57k per year from instructing.
    Half a dozen trial flights per month at 100ish ... so add another 7k per year giving a total of about 65k / year for a few hrs work.
    If you work at the weekends I recon you could double that to at least 100k for a part time job.

Probably not enough to live comfortably on, but then it does leave a fair chunk of the week to do a proper job as well.
    Don't be surprised if all the FI's and AFI's come on and say it is much less than that. They are trying to hoard all the money for themselves!!

Last edited by renmure; 05-09-13 at 22:04 PM. Reason: For the avoidance of doubt: I am kidding!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to renmure For This Useful Post:

rossi (05-09-13)

Thanks
    Lol - I wish! Its that VAT man, the landlord, fuel, plane, building, electric and telphone etc costs that mess it up!

as an employed instructor pay works out at round about 30-35 per flying hour - which is based generally on a two hour slot. If you have a good site with open aspects and more than one runway, and a good supply of students, and make your self available to fly when weather allows its possible to do around 500 hours per year, so not blinding money - but there will be lots of time when you can't fly and trick is to be productive during those periods with Groundschool. Servicing and repairs, sales etc. Its a bit total immersion to make a living from it - but has advantages over a proper job...

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    I did the man-maths recently.

10 hrs instructing per week @ 110 / hr = 1100 per week.... 57k per year from instructing.
    Half a dozen trial flights per month at 100ish ... so add another 7k per year giving a total of about 65k / year for a few hrs work.
    If you work at the weekends I recon you could double that to at least 100k for a part time job.

Probably not enough to live comfortably on, but then it does leave a fair chunk of the week to do a proper job as well.
    Don't be surprised if all the FI's and AFI's come on and say it is much less than that. They are trying to hoard all the money for themselves!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dewhurst For This Useful Post:

rossi (06-09-13)

Thanks
    I've just nearly wet myself... I wish I earned 110 and hour We can swap jobs if you want Renmure
    Carl Bayliss
    GT450

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Carl Bayliss For This Useful Post:

renmure (06-09-13)

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by renmure View Post
    Last edited by renmure; Yesterday at 22:04 PM. Reason: For the avoidance of doubt: I am kidding!!
    Useful bit of info right at the end ....
    The three most useless things in aviation:
    • The air above you.
    • The runway behind you.
    • The fuel in the bowser.

Rule #1: Always tie your aircraft to the largest heaviest object available. The planet Earth meets these requirements and is readily available in all locations.
    Rule #2: The great thing about twin engined aircraft is, if one engine fails, the other engine always has just enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

Semper specto in clara parte vitae.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    don't think anyone on the forums who has done a stint of training would consider being an instructor an easy money job!
    Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
    Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl Bayliss View Post
    I've just nearly wet myself... I wish I earned 110 and hour We can swap jobs if you want Renmure
    Pah.. you are another of these instructor types trying to keep all the money for yourself and discouraging anyone else from taking a share. It is all obvious really. I can see through all the, "oh there is no money in this" bluff and bluster. Fortune and riches beyond imagination are the prize for anyone who is bold enough to defy the doom-mongers and step up into the golden cockpit of an AFI. Being a flying instructor seems to be the easy way to end up with a small fortune*

Not sure about the job swap idea tho. By the time you got your clearance from MI5, MI6, Special Branch and the Duke of Edinburgh you would be bored by the general banality (and pay) of being a Secret Agent and would yearn once again for the gold platted pension pot and wallet busting pay of a flying instructor. Infact... I think I am going to sign up for the AFI course fairly soon
    Last edited by renmure; 06-09-13 at 21:18 PM. Reason: *having started off with a large fortune

Thanks
    I thought about the course a couple of years ago, I was going to go to Marcus and do the training in France. The 3.5k was looking like it would be a while in being recouped after training with the weather up here never mind actually making any but as renmure said the best way of making small fortune being an instructor is to start off with a large one.
    Dont be put off though it is always a goal to aim for If I get some good news after this latest scan then I might think about it again (as another challenge not as a prospective carreer)
    fly high fly safe and may you always have the wind at your back
    (except when taking off or landing according to Phil )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi View Post
    Earning a high salary is not a priority for me, enjoying my job is.
    Get the course done and start enjoying your job!!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Wanafly Flyer For This Useful Post:

rossi (07-09-13)