Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Weather - how to judge the wind?

Hi All,

I'm flying this Saturday (hopefully) from Perth and currently checking the weather via the MET office. Wind speed 11mph Wind gusts 21mph with 80% chance of rain.

I take it this means flying would not be possible? And what sort of limits should I be looking for each week? I know my instructor will advise me but I want to get into the process of checking myself beforehand.

Thanks in advance for any views.
    Ross

Thanks
    It's a good question Ross and there isn't any easy answer. I noticed last night that you were due to be in on Saturday so thought I would come down for late morning and say hi. But then looked at the main sites I find useful (Metcheck, Met Office, and XC Weather) and already decided it was unlikely to happen and that is really to do with the gusting.

I have had lessons with Bill where we have been doing touch & go circuits with the guy in the tower calling 20kts on final, but that is constant wind right down the runway. Having 6 runway direction at Perth is handy. Similarly, doing upper air work in a stiff wind from any direction isn't much of an issue either. Suppose what I mean is that it isn't necessarily the strength of the wind (within reason) that is the limiting factor but more the direction (less on an issue at Perth than other places) and certainly the gusts.

Personally, having had a look at the websites I am writing the weekend off and looking to see how Monday and Tuesday pan out

Jim

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Download Skydemon light plan a route on the day and it will give u wind speeds at flt level you have put in
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Thanks
    Thanks Jim and Dave for the advice/suggestions....

Jim hopefully the weather will pick up and we'll catch the following weekend. Have a good (non-flying!) weekend.

Ross

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Its amazing sometimes - I've seen a couple of people turn up to fly with no idea what the wind conditions are likely to be at altitude.

I use xcweather.co.uk and the met office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/ga which gives the wind forcast for alt. (note met office is only usefully on the day)

Best,

Chris

Thanks
    Thanks Chris

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brand1068 View Post
    Its amazing sometimes - I've seen a couple of people turn up to fly with no idea what the wind conditions are likely to be at altitude.

I use xcweather.co.uk and the met office http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/aviation/ga which gives the wind forcast for alt. (note met office is only usefully on the day)

Best,

Chris
    Anyone checking the Met Office aviation forecasts need to be registered beforehand - which is simple though I personally have found it annoying - that the weather forecast is something which could be used for nefarious purposes - when I questioned this, I was told they just like to know who is accessing the data. As ever, a forecast is only a forecast - not cast iron clad guarantee that these are the conditions you will find aloft at your particular site. I'd always ask fellow aviators who might have already been for a flight what they found conditions were like. Always best to err on the cautious side in your first months/years of flying - so as to not find conditions which have nasty aspects.

All you can do is try to research as best you can ... insurers, when called upon to pay out for an unfortunate incident, may well ask to see your flight planning - I always printed the forecast and attached it to my flight planning calculations - always a good habit to get into even though in the beginning your jaunts may not be very ambitious.

Personally speaking, and I know I am sometimes a bit of female with anorak interests, the flight planning was one of the great aspects of the day's flying. My step father was a navigator with the Canadian Air Force during WWII, doing over 60 bombing missions over Germany, plus navigation has always interested me. I love maps, especially aviation charts.

Happy flight training, you have your solo hours to look forward to, that's a huge pleasure in your future. I was once set off to fly to the west by my instructor where the hills turned out to be cloaked in thick mist right to their top half. I could have avoided the hills by flying to the north and backtracking, but I knew He Who Must Be Obeyed would stand there wringing his hands, sick with worry when I was any longer than planned, so I returned to base after about 5 minutes. He congratulated me for my decision - which felt good, as it was designed to be!
    Whoever says money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop!

Thanks
    If your mate takes off and does just I circuit....then lands with a large brown lump at about bum hight........then it's too windy !

This post isn't a great deal of use,but I hope it made someone smile.....
    disclaimer....as per 2010 European libel act....these are my thoughts only and may not represent the thoughts or actions of any person /company/group/manufacturer named in this article/Internet posting

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Ok you have a whole week of nice warm calm weather,no excuses ,I knew buying those nice fur lined flying boots would do the trick,there will be a lot of rusty glider pilots around keep a good look out for em,we had one straight at us wed same height.
    Last edited by dave nixon; 09-03-14 at 09:44 AM.
    Allways up for a challenge
    back flying Skyranger now

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dave nixon View Post
    Download Skydemon light plan a route on the day and it will give u wind speeds at flt level you have put in
    Hi
    Skydemon light doesn't give you wind you have to find out what the wind is on the day and put it in

john

You can teach monkeys to fly better than that