Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    I'm looking at all day, at least early evening Wednesday, wind 5mph, 5% chance of rain, good viz, North Midlands.

Thanks
    Have you tried this site https://www.windyty.com/?51.547,0.023,4 you can select various altitudes and a variety of info from wind to pressure. have Fun
    Keven
    Quantum 15 , 582
    G- MYTI

adficio
    This is the best and simplest way to get the best idea of what the winds are likely to be doing 😆

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current....63,50.65,1099

Thanks
    Been using met office, which is OK for rain/wind speed.
    Xcweather also looks good.

But how can I find out what height and amount of cloud there will be? Or is this less easy to forecast?
    Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newflyer17 View Post
    But how can I find out what height and amount of cloud there will be? Or is this less easy to forecast?
    Thanks
    Use RASP:

http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/

Select Google Maps RASP table, and when that loads, click "Press for Full Parameter Set" on the left hand side. Now click underneath that for a drop down menu.

In that list, "Cu Cloudbase where Cu > 0" gives you height of cloudbase, and "Normalised Surface Sun" give you an idea of the effects of all types of cloud.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Randombloke View Post
    Use RASP:

http://rasp.inn.leedsmet.ac.uk/

Select Google Maps RASP table, and when that loads, click "Press for Full Parameter Set" on the left hand side. Now click underneath that for a drop down menu.

In that list, "Cu Cloudbase where Cu > 0" gives you height of cloudbase, and "Normalised Surface Sun" give you an idea of the effects of all types of cloud.
    Thanks for that, it is very helpful. I guess I need to get on with my Met exam to understand it though. On the Cu Cloudbase the scale only goes up to 4000. So does clear colour mean no clouds, or clouds over 4000? Or potentially either?

Unless I' misunderstanding, the surface sun doesn't seem to match the Cu Cloudbase maps? For example tomorrow may be clear apart from large portions of cloud, but the surface sun doesn't seem to match those as I'd expect.

The Cu cloudbase looks good though and should help me predict cloud level on top of the normal met forcast. How accurate does this tend to be 24 hours before?

Finally, is OD potential the kind of overcast cloud along with altitude? I assume I also need to be looking at that, as (I think) this type seems to be the type that has been causing issues rather than the cumulous type stuff (I really do need to crack on with the exams!)
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanks for that, it is very helpful. I guess I need to get on with my Met exam to understand it though. On the Cu Cloudbase the scale only goes up to 4000. So does clear colour mean no clouds, or clouds over 4000? Or potentially either?
    It depends on the day. It's also qualified by the probability of any cloud at all.

Unless I' misunderstanding, the surface sun doesn't seem to match the Cu Cloudbase maps? For example tomorrow may be clear apart from large portions of cloud, but the surface sun doesn't seem to match those as I'd expect.
    Clouds do not form solely because of the amount of sun. They are also there because of lapse rates, inversions, dew points and a whole host of other things. Worth getting a gliding met book, as they know much more about met than GA, sorry for generalisation.

The Cu cloudbase looks good though and should help me predict cloud level on top of the normal met forcast. How accurate does this tend to be 24 hours before?
    Like all forecasts it varies, sometimes spot on,sometime abit pony, needs to be used at the very least with the synoptic from Westwind:

http://www.westwind.ch/?link=ukmb,ht...,brack3,brack4

Finally, is OD potential the kind of overcast cloud along with altitude? I assume I also need to be looking at that, as (I think) this type seems to be the type that has been causing issues rather than the cumulous type stuff (I really do need to crack on with the exams!)
    OD is Over Development. It's more when the day has a lot of cumulus that then turns into stratus. Something the gliding mob need to plan for as it effectively turns off their engine (the Sun) and puts them on the deck early.
    Steve U.
    PG, HG & microlights
    "Weekend bimbler, day to day car driver & genuinely undeserving Southern oik who has never done anything of any worth"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Randombloke For This Useful Post:

newflyer17 (28-11-16)